Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1984 Suburban, Smog stuff? and Deathwobble on a stock truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fubeca, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

So I'm looking at buying a tow rig. I test drove a 1985 K20 suburban that is in surprizingly good shape. On the exhaust right as it exits the head, it has tubes that come up from each cylinder to a box on each side of the manifold - any idea what it is - smog stuff?

Then I drove a 1984 K30 Crewcab 4x4. I was following the guy to his shop and twice he experienced what I guess is death wobble. I was driving behind him and could see the bottom of the front wheels moving 6-8" back and forth on a horizontal axis instead of the vertical axis. So, is this DW and is it easier to fix on a stock truck?

2. scotto0609

scotto0609 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just got my death wobble under control 2 weeks ago.For me it was tie rod ends and a new stabilizer.Though i suspect i will be going for a whole front rebuild when the snow melts. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I started experiencing death wobble in my k5 last week... a few months after putting the D60 in...
    For me, i found the front ubolts were loose, tightening them up made it go away... Also my hydro assist had some air in the system, so i had to bleed it again... Hydro assist is supposed to help mask the death wobble, but i think it was more to do with the loose ubolts.

4. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Well here are the specs on the Sub:
    It is being sold on consignment for the original owner.
    165,000 miles, 3/4t, HD Trailering spec, 4.10 axle ratios.
    It is very clean inside, the tailgate has 1 rust whole and there is some misc. rust elsewhere but not too bad. The guy is asking $3900. I'm thinking its worth about $2,200. He'll prolly crap his pants on the spot but -- I'd pay about $4,000 for it if it were nearly perfect. But, it needs paint, a fuel door, a grill, a master cylinder, Tranny shifts real hard 1-2, leaks oil (a lot), exhaust is hashed, and it is a tailgate instead of barndoors.
    Anyway, should I make and offer -- or move on?

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Some Pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

tubes from the exh manifold,s or ?

7. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

8. hoosierk3500

hoosierk3500 Registered Member

From the pics,the body looks pretty decent.No barn doors thats a bummer.Make the offer,all he can do is say no.As for the tubes,yeah smog stuff.PO of my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gifremoved them,replaced with bolts then welded them in. Jason84k3500 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif85k2500 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

There is a 90 Crewcab in Tooele for the same asking price bro. It is a dually with tbi454/th400/np205/D60/D70. It does need a new th400 but other than that its cherry. If your interested, pm and I'll tell you where. (not mine)