Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1985 Chevy K5 Wiring Blues...PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pvt. Maggot, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, Finally got my k5 to turn over, but...this wiring is driving me crazy...There is a red wiring, I traced to the steering column, that before I hooked it up the truck would not turn over, the light in the dash would come on when the lights were on, but it wouldn't do anything else, my steering column was not connected, hanging down all the way, so I hooked the red wire to the drives side prong on the 2 pronged thing above the brake booster, it turned over and the lights all came on. when I picked the column up nothing would work...then the rubber peice where it connects to the steering box started smoking, I put the wire on the other prong and the light came on but it wouldn't turn over...does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 85 k5 blazer? the book I have is completely wrong...nothing in it is right for my blazer...I guess I need a new one...any online manuals or anything I can download? please help me out guys this is driving me CRAZY! thanks alot!

Jack

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

3. Pvt. Maggot

Anyone else?

4. Pvt. Maggot

Alright, I'm pretty sure I have everything where it needs to be except I think i'm missing a ground..The bolts that hold the steering shaft to the steering box where the rubber peice is in between, one bolt was loose, when the column would hang everything would work in the dash, all lights, would turn over ect. I put the column up and snugged the bolts, the truck still turns over but no dash lights, if you jiggle the column up and down they will turn off and on, so I tightened the bolts on the steering shaft, let the column hang, no lights, turns over, but the rubber peice on the steering shaft started smoking? i'm clueless the book I have is not helping, and either is that wiring diagram...anyone have any idea what i'm missing? let me know...thanks!

5. shockline

shockline Registered Member

I have used the Haynes diagram recently for some light repairs.
    Sounds like yours has been "repaired" by previous owner. I had a rat problem a while back and while everything i could see looked fine, the problem was a chewed wire inside somewhere.
    Sometimes it is easier to bite the bullet and do a re wire job, it takes some patients but it is worth it.