Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1985 K5 California equipped ECM location

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hobbes9112, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Hobbes9112

Hobbes9112 Registered Member

Hi-

I have asked this question in the middle of one of my other threads and I haven't been able to get a definitive answer. I have a 1985 GMC Jimmy with the California emissions package. I think my ECM has failed. I looked behind the glovebox and only found the electronic spark control module. The factory service manual shows the ECM, but I haven't been able to figure out where it might be. From the looks of the diagram, it is in the middle of the dash (I really hope I am wrong about that). I am getting ready to check the kick panels, but I just thought I would ask real quick because today and tomorrow look like the last few warm days we might have for a while. Thanks!

Brian

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I'm not sure, but I think the ESC module is the ECM, ie, it's not just the ESC module. If said vehicle had more electronic controls, that was just all integrated.
    As I said, I'm not positive about that, it's speaking from what I have and what I've seen the junkyards. I've only ever seen 1 box in the dash behind the glovebox. These are stange years for chevy's electronic controls though, so anythings possible.

3. Hobbes9112

Hobbes9112 Registered Member

I don't know if it is just because of the California equipment, but there are definitely two boxes. The service manual shows the ECM and ESC as two different parts, but it doesn't clearly show where the ECM is. Gotta love all these computer controls.

4. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

i agree, the ESC is the same as the ECM as far as i know ,just changed mine last month. your ECM should be just to the left behind the glove box and up against the top of the dash silver box about 4x8 box thats were my ECM was. good luck!

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

PO had made a note in the Manual, left kick panel.(?):xmas:

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check above the gas pedal. One box will be cruise control if present, but I seem to recall that the ECM may have been placed there.

The ESC box is smaller than an actual ECM, so if you can compare an actual ECM to an ESC box, you'll know if you are looking at the right piece.

Kick panel would have to be huge to fit an ECM in it.