Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1985 K5 Silverado is it worth it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lukebaby1, Jan 21, 2004.

1. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

I found a 1985 stock k5 for $700.00. New Jasper engine,(less than 5000 miles) Jasper transmission (700r4). The guy says he had another Jasper engine put in it when he did the transmission, (about 2 years ago) but it messed up and they put a whole new one in under warranty. Now he says it hangs in second gear before shifting. I think maybe when they put the second reman in they messed up the adjustment on the TV cable. Has rust in all the usual places, Paint is wasted, and looks like it's leaning a little on the body bushings. Is it worth it? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Its a tough call. I guess it depends on how badly you want the truck. I paid around $900 for mine with a blown engine. Then again, its an 87 tbi, new paint, transmission shifts fine (knock on wood), and the interior was in pretty good shape. It doesnt look stock anymore though.
    [​IMG]
    to
    [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It depends...how bad is the rust??? Is it just surface rust or swiss cheese rust? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Rust's not to bad, behind the doors, lower rocker panels, your basic hunting vehicle mud underneith not ever cleaned realgood. Tailgate still pretty good, hand crank windows all around. Silverado package but no hood ornament or power doors. Everything else. Drivers seat pretty worn through. Solid untinted side shell windows.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    hand crank windows all around. Silverado package but no hood ornament or power doors. Everything else. Drivers seat pretty worn through. Solid untinted side shell windows.

[/ QUOTE ] My 85' silverado is the same way. No power windows or doorlocks besides the tailgate. It sucks.
    I like one piece windows a lot better than the sliders. The sliders are easy to break into and leak. 1 piece windows are quiet and look really clean tinted 5%
    For 700 bucks that sounds pretty good to me if the body isn't trashed with rust.

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    No power windows or doorlocks besides the tailgate. It sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oh, common now. Power doorlocks are nice I have to admit, but I would much rather have manula windows. I have an 87 k5 silverado, with all power options, and neither the drivers side or passenger side power windows work. I dont have the money to fix them right now, so that does me no good. I also cannot mount speakers in the bottom of the doors, without having to fab up some spacers so they dont hit all of the window motor components. Manual windows are also a lot easier to work on and break far less often. But then again, different strokes for different folks.
    -Harrison

7. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Here's a fact for .02.
    I priced the front clip for that body style and it was $400-600 depending on shape of sheet metal.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    No power windows or doorlocks besides the tailgate. It sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oh, common now. Power doorlocks are nice I have to admit, but I would much rather have manula windows. I have an 87 k5 silverado, with all power options, and neither the drivers side or passenger side power windows work. I dont have the money to fix them right now, so that does me no good. I also cannot mount speakers in the bottom of the doors, without having to fab up some spacers so they dont hit all of the window motor components. Manual windows are also a lot easier to work on and break far less often. But then again, different strokes for different folks.
    -Harrison

[/ QUOTE ]
    It sucks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I am going to have power windows and door locks when I buy the aftermarket kits when I replace my interior. I love creature comforts! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Maybe we could trade door components? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif