Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1985 Military M1008 Chevy Truck front Dana 60 into 88 Chevy Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pomai, Jul 13, 2003.

1. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Will a 1985 M1008 Chevy Truck front Dana 60 be a bolt into a Full Size 88 Chevy Blazer? What about the steering and springs? Thanks Ed

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes it will be a bolt it, you may need a conversion ujoint, not sure what size they are. you will need new u bolts, though

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

U-joint will be the same size from the D60 to your stock shaft. Both share the same 1310 series yoke size. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Has anyone had problems getting those two bolts out on the passenger side? That's what worries me most about swapping in my '60, I don't have a torch.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Knock on wood, but I've never broken one yet. I did buy a salavage yard D60 with one broken in it once. Just got a drill and did a small hole into it and used an EZ-out after applying some heat to it first. Came out easily. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I broke one of those two bolts on the Dana 60 that was in my GMC K-3500 . It snapped right at the spring pad surface when I was removing the bolts. Even with all the care that I could give I broke an easy out off in it .
    I suggest using a penetrating oil that will soak in before you loosen those bolts ( something industrial strength like " Free-All ") .
    HTH , Tom

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If the ez-out fails, just take a largish nut and place over the bolt remains. Weld through the nut hole and make sure you weld the bolt (and potentially broken ez-out) first to get good pen, then tie in the nut. Let cool, and it should come right out. That gives very intense heat and relatively localized, it will free up most any bolt... I’ve also built up a nub on smaller bolts to get hold of with a vice grip, or grind flat for a crecent…