Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1986 305 motor--Half Breed??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Aug 14, 2004.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Well.after a 3 hour battle with the sawsall and much wrenching,my friend and I got the motor I bought from him out of the G10 van--I'm gonna be sore a long time after this swap(guess I am not in very good shape,but I'm sure my muscles will be bulging after this is over!). My questions are--is this a roller cam motor??.It has the regular style valve covers like any chevy up to 1985--Its carbuerated(had an electric Q-jet 4 bbl)and I noticed it also has the EST distibutor(dammit!)and a knock sensor thing in one of the block water jacket holes.Also has a serpentine alt belt,but v-belts on the P/S and air pump(!!?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif)and a one peice rear main seal--will that present any problems bolting it up to the 79's TH350??.Could I use the EST distubutor,or should I swap in a regular HEI one??.I plan on using the existing edelbrock 4 bbl,since thie van had the electric Q-jet(I'm assuming the van had a computer--never thought to look under the seat--its already in the boneyard next to the crusher!). Took me two hours just to strip off the A/C pump,all the air pump and related uneccasary crap,and all the wiring harnesses and stuff--I bet its 100 lbs lighter now!. Looks like I'd better get a new oil pan,the one on this motor is very crispy,and the P/s pump is trashed cuz the housing rotted out and leaked all the fluid out,I think a junkyard one complete with bracket will be the best way to go,dont think my 6 cylinder one is the same(longer pulley shaft)and I dont have a pulley puller.I might have older 1970's pump here already,anyone know if they will bolt on and line up??.
    I cant wait for this swap to be over--the fun is only beginning--hooking up the exhaust,changing all the sending units,carb linkage,and other assorted dewhickies will likely take a lot longer than dropping the motor in(and I havent taken the 250 out yet! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif)--My back is killing me,and between getting soaked at an outdoor concert last night in RI in a monsoon(water was over 1 foot deep in the parking lot--they had to use the fire engine to pump out a lake that formed in the feild we were parked in at a county fair,took 1-1/2 hours to get out of the parking lot /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifand I got about 3 hours of sleep,then pulled the van motor and did some prep work like drilling out the exhaust studs,re-tapping them,etc.Feels like I'm sleepwalking--oh,its 4.20 am.no wonder! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gifI dont know if I will change the freeze plugs,I've done 3 motors lately that had all of them perfect,I know I might regret not doing them later,but where do you stop??,next thing you know your putting in head gaskets,timing chain,and a hundred (dollars! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif)more into it--I just want it done,and to make it run again,summers is nearly over!. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif--I'd better go sleep now! /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

i started out, reringing, timing chain, gaskets... I'm in the process of building a kick ass 383 now /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. No don't use the EST distributor, stick with the HEI one. As for whether or not that motor is roller, there is only one way to know for sure. Pull the damn intake off, you will know real well then.
    [​IMG]
    see that big piece of sheetmetal in the lifter valley? If you have that its roller. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

my engine came stock with a roller cam and it dosnt have that piece in there, and also my 86 305 that i took out wasnt roller, u can also find out by running the casting number

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

truck motors didn't come roller until 1996, so that might explain your 86. As for the roller setup, if its a factory roller setup, it has one of those spiders in there. That is if its the standard old Small Block Chevy. LT1s and LS1s I'm sure are different.

5. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

my 350 has the hydraulic roller setup...if thats what ur talking about. and its an 87. it is tbi, so thats probably why.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

in a pickup?? that would be the very first I've ever heard of. Have you seen the roller camshaft or are you just taking someones word on that?

7. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

its in my blazer. and i rebuilt the motor myself. so i know its a hydrualic roller.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats very very very interesting. Can you get the casting numbers? Sure its your factory motor? I've seriouslly never heard of a roller motor in an older pickup that was not a transplant. The one I pictured is out of a 9c1 police car. It had center bolt valve covers and an Electronic QJet. I'm building a 383 TBI for my 89 Burb.