Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1986 Blazer - Major undertaking (for me) Please Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86mission, Oct 16, 2002.

1. 86mission

86mission Registered Member

Hello,

I am getting a 1986 Blazer from an uncle of mine. I don't want to buy a new car (payments, yuck), and since this is free, I figure'd I'd rather spend money on making this vehicle reliable, rather than purchase a used car and find out it too needs work. (it'll be fun too) =P

I am planning on:
    - ripping out the interior, engine and have it painted.
    - having engine/tranny checked out, replaced if needed, overhauled (upgraded) as well, cost will be deciding factor.
    - replace the following components:
    alternator
    starter
    battery
    spark plugs
    engine mounts
    shocks/struts/springs (with some lift)
    brake lines
    rotor
    water pump
    fuel filter
    radiator
    seats, carpeting, etc (interior stuff)

I need more information, such as... is this a fuel injected vehicle, or carburated? (sp)

Am I missing anything that needs to be replaced in order to make this a reliable daily driver?

In regards to lift, I want to raise the vehicle, but don't really want a soft suspension (prefer on-road performance), any suggestions?

Ideally I'd like to overhaul the engine and maybe add some performance goodies, but I have no idea how much this is all going to cost.

Please provide as many comments as possible, I'm completely new to domestic cars, let alone something this old. I don't have the vehicle yet, so I don't know its mileage, nor can i pop the hood to see if its FI or carbr'd.

Thanks in advance!

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

First off, you are lucky to start with a free truck, but you still need to watch out for unnecessary expences.
    The alternator, starter, battery can be checked, don't replace if not needed.
    Brake lines should be fine if it's an 86.
    By the way it should be a fuel injected TBI (throttle Body Injection) which is like a carb with electronic nozzles spraying in it instead of mechanical.
    The fuel filter, motor mount, shocks, spark plugs, are checp insurance and most likely would be bad anyway so replace them.
    The rotor and the water pump could need replacing but as I said, inspect them, they could be in great shape, keep your money for engine /tranny rebuild and the lift.
    The interior is a personnal preference so I won't say anything here. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    If it has been sitting for a while, I would flush the brake fluid out and put new fluid, change all rubber hoses (fuel, heater, and brake hoses especially with a lift)

3. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

i second most of what the other guy said x-cept the tbi/fuel injected bit. that didnt start till 87' unless some one swapped something in. areas prone to problems are the rear floor and main support beam that the tailgate is hooked to (rust/rot). youll be lucky if there is no rust above any of the fenders(wont be a problem if ya put on big tires and ya have to trim them anyways !).id say hold off on the interior and save your $$$$$ for mechanical repairs. unless the vehicle has seen serious abuse/neglect id think the interior should be ok. check brakes and gas tank out. also if you have rear power window that is sometimes a problem area also. definetly give motor/t-case and tranny and good healthy going-over. check out any service records and find out maintence history. may save you some $$$$$$. best of luck.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I had an 83 with TBI, and I have seen them as early as 82.
    I don't think that it was custom I have seen many can't be all custom??
    It was in the middle east though so I don't know.
    I will check the haynes and some sources I have in the web and will let you know what I came up with.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 86mission

Sweet! Thanks for all the input guys. Heh, I asked like 4 other people to get that big list of things to replace.

Any good places I can readup on lifts?

Any comments on engine upgrades? Someone said something about rust... I will have to check out the vehicle when I get it, but if there is rust, what can I do? (short of replacing body panels).

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Ok here goes:
    In 1980 and 1981 they offered only the Blazer, none of the trucks, with the 5.7 in TBI. The rest were Carbs.
    In 1982 they didn't offer the TBI.
    In 1983-1984 they offered 5.0 and 5.7 in Blazer only. The rest were Carbs.
    In 1985-1987 they offered 5.0 and 5.7 in Blazer, and 4.3 5.0 and 5.7 in other trucks and Vans. No more Crabs.
    In 1988-1991 they only offered the 5.7 for the blazer, the rest got all the choices.
    This is compiled from Alldata.com
    You can check them out for recalls, and technical service bulletins.
    I knew I wasn't dreaming /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

fi in k5's didn't start until 87. my 86's where esc carbs unless they were in cali than they got the full computer controlled ones.

8. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Just repeating what other people said but in my opinion just change the fluids and do a tune up and start driving it. Keep it close to home for a while until you find out what needs to be fixed. If its not major things make a list and then you have a plan to go on. With a plan you can save your self a lot of time taking apart the same stuff over and over.

Joe

9. caryhenry

caryhenry Registered Member

my 85 5.0 has a 4 barrel carb

10. 79Silv4x4

79Silv4x4 Registered Member

I've not seen any factory production GM TBI until 1987 models, blazer or truck.

11. 86mission

thanks for all the responses people. a buddy of mine who saw the blazer said it was an s-10 blazer? did that throw everyone off?

I'm looking forward to this project. I figure I'll have enough money by Febuary. I live in Virginia, the blazer is in Ohio. As it is now, it doesn't start, so I will have to have minor repairs done out there and drive it to Virginia to have the major work done.

My friend (who moved back to Oregon) told me to put a 4 in suspension lift, 3 in body lift, and 33 super swampers.

I don't know what all the above is, but I know it will give me a lift. Any idea how much higher it will be than stock? (7 inches?)

LOL, would that totally kill my gas mileage? =P

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The S10 is completely different as far as the engine goes, all the other things to do stand true. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Although, I am not a fan of those S10's but I guess a free truck is a free truck right? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Shamelessly lifted from the Spec's page:

Year: 1987 Production Total: 32,437
    Base Price: 13,066 Weight: 4,379
    Wheel Base: 106.5 in.

Fuel Tank Capacity:
    94 liter (24.83-gallon)/117 liter (31-gallon)

Length: 184.8 in. Height: 73.4 in.
    Std. Engine, (HP):
    OHV Eight-cylinder 350 cid. (210) @ 4000 rpm

Opt. Engine, (HP):
    OHV Diesel Eight-cylinder 379 cid. (130) @ 3600 rpm

OHV Diesel Eight-cylinder 379 cid. (148) @ 3600 rpm

Rear Axle:
    GM Corporate 10-bolt (8.5-in. 1.28 Axle Dia. 28 Spline)
    Front Axle:
    GM Corporate 10-bolt (8.5-in. 1.28 Axle Dia. 28 Spline)

Transmission (M):
    SM465 4 spd. (6.55:1 First Gear)
    Transmission (A):
    TH700-R4 (3.06:1 First Gear)

Transfer Case (M):
    NP208 (2.61:1 Low Range)
    Transfer Case (A):
    NP208 (2.61:1 Low Range)

Notes:
    New for 1987 was the TBI (throttle body injection) fuel injection system.

Blazers featured a steel half-cab with an integral roll bar built into the steel front compartment roof and lock pillar structures.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I knew I wasn't dreaming/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Did ya really think Alldata was the place to find reliable info on K5's??? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Try here first... K5 spec's page, 73-91

Rene

14. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

lucky, getting a free truck. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i must also add, i have never seen a stock injected chevy until 87.

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The full size trucks were not injected until '87. My '85 and 86 GM C/K parts book prove that, as well as every other piece of factory literature out there.

Believe Camaro injection (TPI) started in '85.

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Ya know, I did see this a couple of months ago /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    I still did work on more than a dozen 81's they were a fleet and they were all TBI.
    I didn't know their history but it was in 1986 when I did so if TBI didn't exist where did they get them from??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Anyway, I know that Chevy had a few years of transitionning, just like the 10bolt and D44 front's where there was no cutting year for either.
    In the end, I don't think it matters as long as we get those K5's and modify them, mine is a 76 and it has a perkins engine right out of a tractor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Still I would like to find a reliable GM or Chevy source on those productions (and by the way I did say that those were in the MIddle east back then that is where I was)

17. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Where those fleet vehicles running on gasoline or something else (i.e. propane)? In the states '87 is the year for full size C and K models to go to FI. There was transition during that time, meaning they would mix a carb in with the TBI. I have had four 86s and all have the 4bbl Rochester and more pollution crap than you can imagine.

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

No it was gasoline engines, all 5.7's
    Doesn't matter I will check them out.
    By the way sorry for steering this thread, I didn't mean it that way, but what does ESC stand for? you said it had esc carb.
    Does that one use an ECM and an Ox sensor?
    Because alldata lists problems with those engines with these 2 items in 81

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Alldata is smoking crack.

C/K's didn't get O2 sensors or an ECM in 1981. 50 state mandatory for cars starting in '81 though.

ESC is electronic spark control, which trucks probably could have at LEAST since 1981.