Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1986 Gmc stepside 2x4 body to a 1973 Chevy Blazer 4x4

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by andrew86stepside, Apr 22, 2003.

1. andrew86stepside

andrew86stepside Newbie

I have a 86 GMC stepside 2x4 with a 4 speed trans. I have found a 73 chevy blazer that is rusted out. I was wondering if anybody could tell me if the body off my 86 stepside 2x4 will bolt on to the 73 4x4 frame. Will the frames match up? Is it a very difficult task to switch bodies? Also can I use my 4 speed from the 2x4? Thank you for your help. Andrew

2. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I saw this done once and it was horrible. The guy tried to shorten the stepside box, while still trying to keep it looking decent-NO GO! I would strongly recomend legthening the frame if you do this. The cab will be straight forward, you just need to make mounts for the last two which sit on top of the frame, rather than outboard and level like the blazer cab mounts. Pickup bodies are relatively easy to switch, and Yes you can use the 4 speed, you just need one bracket of the pickip frame, the holes should be in the blazer frame for it.
    Good luck if you decide to proceed.

3. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

a few people on this site have done it...if done right it looks very nice....if you're not too attached to the box, mabey you could do a custom flat bed? if thats done up the right way it'll set the truck off really nice

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

This post has some of the info you are lookin for.I put a 74 C20 cab on an 81 K5.I cut 13" of the front of my stepside bed.

Some might think its ugly (the tan one) but I dig it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Some might think its ugly (the tan one) but I dig it

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it used to be purty /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. FRIZZLEFRY

More info here and here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. FRIZZLEFRY

Yes but it is more "functional" now ,I can fit just about everywhere /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

I have done this conversion as well, although I never put a motor in it. My wife thought it was too ugly to put money into. I used a 75 frame ( if I remember right ) and the cab literally bolted right up. I used an 85 cab. I believe the stuff you have will work easily. Body lift will probably be needed depending on what running gear you use. As far as a bed goes...I cut down a 84 Blazer body to fit. All the beds are the same behind the wheel well. Just measure and cut to length. I fabbed up a front bulkhead to finish it and it looked pretty cool. I wish that I hadn't caved when a buddy offered me money for it in front of my wife. I still owe him an a$$ kicking for that.
    I have a couple pics lying around, I'll see if I can't scan them in and e-mail them to you.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Early second gen Blazers still have the inboard cab mounts in the middle. Sometime during 1977 GM swicth to the outside body mounts. That is my best guess since my box of Energy Suspension body mounts goes 73 to 77. So, a regular pickup cab should bolt on the 73 frame.

10. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One more thing. I've heard 2WD cabs have a shallower floor and may hit the tranfer case. You may need to do floor board modifications.