Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1986 Jimmy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86 Jimmy, Apr 28, 2006.

1. 86 Jimmy

86 Jimmy Registered Member

Okay so i'm brand spaking new to CK5, and I wanted some input on my "project". I have a 1986 Full Size Jimmy, the floor is completely smoked in the back, including the tail pan, everything eles body-wise is "fairly" clean. Frame is good. I have a 350 built to go in it, as I already blew up the 305, lol.

So basically my problem is this, I've given myself a budget of about $5000 CAN to drop into it. I'm wondering if anyone knows any great ideas for cheaper trans/transfer case combos, or a good donor vehicle for diffs?

What i'm running now is stock, 700R4, NP208, 10B F/R. The engine i'm dropping in isn't really crazy, I built the bottom end to be bulletproof just in case i wanted more grunt later. I basically have a nice off-road cam from Comp Cams, and ported and polished stock heads. So any thoughts that people might have to give me some direction might help.

My plans for this truck are as follows: Just a trail rig mainly, I already have a 2005 Z71 as a DD, and a 1 ton G Van for work. So i don't need to worry about comfort or fuel economy. Luckily in Ontario your car is exempt from emmission testing after 20 years, so my Jimmy is clear from that (still need a cat and muffler though). So something good for trails and can still make it on to the road is what i'm looking for. Any thoughts or tips or tricks that anyone might have would really help me out. Cheers.

P.S. pics of her decrepid state will be online shortly.

2. KevinsK5

KevinsK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do a seach for info on here, you'll find a ton of info on all the questions you just asked. I am fairly new to Blazers and 4wheelin myself, and I'm building a cheap trail project. I started with a '77 that turned out to be really rusty, but now I'm looking to swap the drivetrain into a newer/cleaner body. For axles, seems there are a lot of guys here who run 10 bolts front and rear up to 35's/36's without too much breakage. I think it depends on how hard you drive. For my project I want cheap and reliable, so heres what I'm using. 350 SBC, SM465, NP205 case, 14 bolt full float rearend, and a D44 up front. If your rust is just limited to the back I'd probably fix it and build the truck. Kevin

3. 86 Jimmy

86 Jimmy Registered Member

Yeah thanks a lot... I've actually had lots of time to do some research here. There's a ton and it's been really helpful. I think I'm just going to get it running, get it lifted and get new tires... then upgrade whatever breaks. I'm pretty lucky 'cause if it breaks I have no problem parking it until I get it fixed.