Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1986 K5 U-Joints *HELP*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tonka64, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Tonka64

Tonka64 Registered Member

I need to install new U-Joints on my truck so I figure it best to install new front and rear, where I'm lost now is I was sold 5 U-joints for my truck, having no clue where to start is there a internet resourse where I can look or the correct book to purchase to install the front & rear and this 5th mystery joint which is smaller than what goes on the driveshafts...

:confused: I was hearing clunking sounds coming from under my truck and a grinding noise when driving.

So I'm just going through the list of basic's first with the u-joints, next will be the transmission mounts and motor mounts, really dont want to tear into the tranny but will if I have to..

I've had the tranny rebuilt and wasnt happy, so I'll do it myself to get it done right.:doah:

Tim aka Tonka

truck specs (stock 350-V8 5.7L, 700r4, 4 wheel drive)

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you bought just the joints for both driveshafts you got 5 because there is 3 in the front shaft.

3. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

as for books, get a Chilton or Haynes repair manual for your truck. it covers almost everything (except like tranny rebuilds and gear swaps), and they're pretty cheap. it's a pretty basic procedure and they go step by step. available at your local parts store...