Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1987 14bff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JIMMY76, Jan 8, 2005.

1. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

Im Looking Around On Ebay For The Disc Brake Conversion Mounting Plates For My 87 14bff And They All Go Up To 1986 I Asked One Of The Seller He Wasnt Sure He Said Chevy Changed Something With The Axels In 87 He Wasnt Sure Though . What Was Changed?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I think it was either the way the shafts attach to the hubs or the drum is not bolted to the hub??

Someone has to know for sure

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

the Drum was changed to outside the hub and held on with the rim and lug nuts rather than inside the hub held on with the studs. It ends up altering the caliper spacing if memory serves. I only looked at it briefly. Some also have anti lock brakes.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

splines werent changed til 88 on some/most axle models, dunno if that includes 14 FF or not though

hubs drums changed yeah to slip ons around 87 yep,. maybe only certain applications and years though, may not be 87 at all or not all of them,

good luck

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

axle info

splines are the same . i have a gov lock from a 78-80 14ff in my dd that is a 96 14ff went in no problems. as for the brake kit it might be possible to use the older hub assy on the newer axle , but not sure . i was going to try this with mine soon.:cool1:

6. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

ok thanks i went out and looked at it the drums are held on with the hub bolts well im going to order them ill keep you guys posted to what i find out