Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1987 3/4 ton 4x4 burb - need info on rear 14 bolt, etc

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crawlink5, Apr 1, 2004.

1. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

Getting complete drivetrain from engine to diffs. 350/th400/np205?/14b/10b

Is the rear 10.5 ff or 9.5 sf? Had caps on the wheels so couldn't see. I don't know much about the looks of the pumpkin.

What gear ratio could I expect?

Did these come with an np205? It was too dark to see. It did have a 350 and a th400.

The interior is completely burnt. Nothing left. Carb is also burnt. Nothing below the body was burnt.

4 alloy wheels (like old centerlines - solid in the center). 4 new 33x16.5 BFG ATs. He was asking $600 but he said he'd take a rifle on trade. The wife is getting tired of the mess.

So, I get 3/4 ton running gear with tires and alloy rims at the same time! WIth trans, x-fer, and motor and anything else I can scrape up like steering box. He even said I could leave anything I didn't want like the body and he'd get rid of it. Really nice person.

Thanks,
    Doug

BTW - He had a 71 or 72 (I think) K5 (with the K5 emblems) that also had an extra option emblem under the door windows. Three letters - sxt? maybe?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

That late a truck should have the 208 xfer case. I think these later trucks had the weaker 14-bolt, but I can't remember if it's a later model full-float or a semi-float.

Gear ratio is *likely* 4.10, no guarantee.

I might be wrong on the xfer case and it may be a 241; I get the damn things confused. (My wife kept the /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif when we split, but I have the two /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif's so I'm not whining. Much.)

-- A

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

For '87 you are looking at a TH400/NP208 combo with 10 bolt front and 14SF rear (9.5"). Gear ratio will depend on who ordered it. Could be 3.40, 3.73 or 4.10's.

4. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

I hope for 3.73s or 4.10s. I don't mind the 9.5sf rear - is it significantly lighter?. I don't 'intend' on off-roading this truck. I just want the strength if needed.

I have a ff here at the house (3.73) if I want to go with it.

That brings up another question - will the brakes swap over to the ff? I still don't have brakes for it yet.

I'll keep the 203 - I guess.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

A friend of mine has an 87, it's a half ton, but it has the 208 t-case and had 3.73 gears in it, powered by a 350 TBI. 700r4.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My 88 is 14FF but it doesn't have 4x4, it's 2wd.

7. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

I did the deal on the burb parts above today - he liked the FAL I traded him with 10 mags and 2 battle packs. Can't wait to get the diffs and wheels under my blazer.

We then got to talkin about the '79 truck. He wanted me to buy it too. I said I don't have any money - so he said I could have it for the q-jet I've got.

350/465/205/10bolts, one set of very very good rallys with full tread ruined bfgs, one set of crappy chrome with old 38s on it. Body not so bad that I can't fix it, but I need a hood (creased) and the bed would be much better changed out than me putting new metal down in the bottom. Interior has seen better days.

All in all a great trail rig or hunter, but could be fixed up. Hardest thing would be interior. I don't like interior work.

He's got a lot of doors that he'll sell and a burd talgate with window. some are power. He's got 2 or 3 d44 fronts and some 10 bolt or 12 bolt rears. He's got a 2 wheel drive burb 1984 that he might want to sell.