Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1987 Diesel Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MrArmyAnt, Nov 27, 2005.

1. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
  2. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Honestly you won't know until you look at it... start it up, drive it, and see how low the owner will go. I got my 88 k5 with tbi 350, built 700r4, 6 inch superlift(dual shocks and steering stabilizers) and 80 percent new 35's, ignition alarm and cd player for 2300 but the passenger door and fender were dinged up(bondoed it and it was good as new) bad interior(workin on it) and i had to do a tranny swap(he told us it was bad and gave us a new built 700r with receipt and warranty). I bought it from sacremento and i'm up here in magalia. If I hadn't of looked at it he probably would have screwed me. my advice is look the thing over head to toe and bargain until your blue in the face.

3. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

K. So now I just have to drive 140 miles round trip to see it. Anyone near marrietta ok?

4. ajbirken

ajbirken Registered Member

Make sure it deosn't have overheating problems, bubbling in the radiator or pressure in the top radiator hose after reachninf operating temps.

These things are notorious for blown head gaskets and sometimes cracked heads. I would have a compression test done before I bought it.

5. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

even on diesel? also will this fit on any of uhauls trailers? the flat bed says only cars up to 4k pounds...

6. ajbirken

ajbirken Registered Member

Esp. In a diesel! These things have compression well above 300PSI that probably contributes to blown headgaskets.

Don't know about the u-haul thing. Get AAA gold 7 tows a year for up to 100 miles each tow for like 100.00/year. Just put poser tags on before you tow it.

7. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

with that price, it would have to be in pretty good condition. check everything! make sure all the fluids and other maintinence look good (Belts/hoses/underhood and under chassis fluid) - that will tell you how well they've taken care of it. i don't know if you're familiar w/ diesels, but the color of the oil won't tell you anything. It will always be black as night - just make sure it's not super low.

in terms of towing - what would you be driving on your way to check it out? is there a reason you couldn't tow that vehicle w/ the blazer? make sure you ask if it's got a tow hitch when you call them tho.

colby

8. bornreadyk5

bornreadyk5 Registered Member

Looks sorta ruff, but decent. I would talk him down some.

Check the starter. Make sure it hasnt broke off the ear on the block. I have seen several do this because people dont install the support bracket back on.

Make sure you start it cold. If its hard to start when cold, could indicate bad glow plugs, relays, worn injection pump, low compression. If the engine is warm when you get there, suspect the owner trying to hide a starting problem.

6.2's are great engines. In fact, I would rather have one than a 350. Main problem is hard starting. If everythings in good shape, motor should be ok. Check maintanance too. If it wasnt taken care of, be cautious. If its been properly maintained, I wouldnt be afraid of it having a lot of miles. I have had many 6.2's in excess of 300,000 miles with no major work done.

Use these things to help you talk him down a little.