Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1987 Dodge 1-ton 4x4, possible K5 parts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Sep 16, 2003.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I found the subject truck in the Ad Bulletin. It's a farm truck so I think I can get it pretty cheap. I hate to buy a whole truck just for the Dana 60 /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. Are there any other goodies under these trucks that I could use in my project? It's a SRW truck, is that the Dana 70 rear? Are the rear spring pads close to GMs? Thanks.
    Chris

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Does the '87 use a normal long side shaft, or is it CAD? If you don't realy want the whole truck make sure the D60 is a desirable one before buying. It should also have a fixed yoke x-fer case, guessing 205 or 208. Might want to search the Dodge sites if you want more than my guesses.

3. gmule

gmule 1/2 ton status

Dodge did not go with the cad for the 60's until 1994. The spring perches may be a little narrow for the Gm but workable. it may also have a 44 under it. Dodge had some strange axle combo's make sure to veify that it is a 60 before purchase.

4. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I did a little research and if the sites I looked at are correct it should have a Dana 60 front (which will work with the A-tron offset bushings), a NP435 tranny, and a fixed yoke NP205. I'm still not sure about the rear end. Book value on this truck is about $1100 so I could probably get it for around there and then part it out to recoup some cash. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Just make sure you check that it doesnt have a Dana 61 before you buy it. Some of the Dodges were equipt with the D61 to get higher gear ratios like 3.08's and you can't put 4.10's or better in them /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Actually you can use any ratio that is for a 60 in a 61 with a spacer kit. I have seen guy do it but only remeber seeing a 61 in a rear axle flavor. Flavor? Yep, D60's taste like Chicken! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Personally I wouldnt trust a ring gear spacer in any of my axles... But yes the parts are almost identical with only the centerline of the pinion being farther away from the carrier on the D61 axles (as I have understood so far). I have seen one in the front of a 1989 Dodge 3/4 ton.

8. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Hey guys just wondering I mesured the font of my 77 doge and was hoping to be able to use the parts from it on my blazer and the doge was wider then the blazer if I tried to use the axle in my blazer the diff was uunder the spring I would have had to move the spring on the passenger side out like 3in to get it to line up I dont remember the exacts. Is their a year doge that will work?.
    Earl