Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1987 GMC oil pressure problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Steve GMC, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Steve GMC

Steve GMC 1/2 ton status

like the title says oil problems. 1987 GMC k25 tbi. anyway since we've owned the truck the oil press always said 60. put thats the problem. see as soon as you turn the key it says 60. w/o the engine running. so i looked and couldnt find the bell shaped oil press. senscor so i figured its the one behind the distributor (im used to carbed engines). wrong one and my dad already replaced that one. so i went to the auto parts store and he told me to look right by the oil filter. i did and it was there. unhooked. so heres what i thought...

if it was unhooked and was still reading 60 then the sencor cant be bad. i thought maybe the guage was bad so i put another one on. same thing goes right to 60. could the diagram behind all the guages have gone bad for just that one guage? any help is greatly appreciated..

Thanks
    Steve

2. isaac

isaac 1/2 ton status

i had the same problem. i tried 3 different gauges before i finally broke down and bought that sensor by the oil filter. i swapped it out and it worked like a champ. try that its a $20 dollar sensor at napa. hope this helps...

isaac

3. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

Sounds to me like the gauge cluster circuitry is bad. If the sender was unhooked and the gauge was still reading, and a new gauge didnt solve anything, then you have your answer.