Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1987 nissan pickup 2wd........turn signal question

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by hoppy, Jan 13, 2003.

1. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

ok the problem. my front righthand side turnsignal went out. i couldnt just replace the bulb as the socket is way to rusted. i went and checked the lefthand side to find the plastic assembly was cracked into three pieces. so........i ordered brand new turn signal assemblys. ok great now im all set right!!!!! nope. i plug them in screw them into place turn them on and they work......but only if i dont have my head beams turned on!!!!! when i turn the headbeams on they wont flash they just stay on. whats the deal? i plugged the old one back in thats was all busted but still worked and it worked no problem. are the lights bad? should i send them back? or should i try new bulbs first? help i cant drive at night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

did you reuse the old bulbs or buy new ones and leave the old ones in the old assembly?/

3. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

the new assemblys came with brand new lights. i removed them and noticed one is silver and one brass color. i could not remove the old ones in the old assemblys as they were just rusted in there.
    the bulbs were actually filled with water but working untill now. i thought this would be a simple plug in thing but its really crappy when you cant drive the thing at night. should i start buy getting new bulbs?

4. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you got the wrong year set up. Older Hardbody trucks had dual filament turn / parking lights up front. when you turn on the headlights, the bumper turn sigs would light as parking lights. when you hit the blinker, the second brighter filiment would flash. On newer hardbody trucks, the bumper lights were just there for blinkers, no parking. If you have one of them there now, there would be no second filament to flash....so it do nothing....hope u can understand what I'm trying to say...

5. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

this truck is an 87......pretyy old. it does have the dual filament turn parking lights. ive figured out the problem sort of be need more help. i took the lenses of and turned the head lights on and then turned the flasher on.....heres the problem. the parking light is brighter then my flasher so you cant even see the flash. it does blink but not enough to see when other is lit. what could cause this? i got another set of bulbs and they did the same thing. is it an electrical problem? should the parking light be shutting off when i hit my turn signals or stay on at all times?

6. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

its wired backwards, have the wrong bulb in it or something of that sort.
    1. try to turn the bulb around 180 degrees. The tabs are at different heights...but I have been known to see this happen.
    2. Go to napa with bulb and tell them you need basically the same bulb with the tab heights reversed. I'm calling the tabs the little poka dot things that stick out of either side of the base.
    Good luck, but that should fix it.

7. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

the bulbs i have will only go in one way. when turned 180 the tabs dont hit the slots and they wont turn into place. ill try seeing if i can get differant bulbs for them. thanks, ill let you know how i make out.

8. hoppy

hoppy Registered Member

went back to napa......they didnt have the bulbs with the reversed nobs. BUT........i figured why not try reversing the wires on the new assemblys. and they now work!!!!! it appears the factory had the wires backwards. im pumped i can drive this thing now. thanks for the ideas everyone it got me to this point!!!!!!

9. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Glad u got it going /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif