Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1988 14FF disc brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Apr 6, 2004.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh yeh, beat to death I know, but heres the question. I looked at the azkickin setup and it says for the 85 and older 14ff's. Now this 88 has the ribbed pumpkin, but its out of a burban(old bodystyle) and springs perches etc are the same distance apart as on my 87 14sf. Anyway, question is, does anyone know how to convert the 86 and newer 14ff's to disc brakes?? Wanna do it before I put it in. Thanks. Chris.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

ok, I got 2 replies back from azkickin but now am thoroughly cornfused lol. The first reply [ QUOTE ]
    Chris, The Suburban 14 bolt may be ok. Check to verify that the drums
    are on the inside of the hub. If the drums are on the outside of the
    hub like GM made them in later years this kit will not work. Bill

[/ QUOTE ] I asked what was meant by inside and outside and got this in reply [ QUOTE ]
    The Full Floater on the
    earlier models had the drum mounted on the inside and the hub you are
    talking about mounted on the outside with the lug bolts pressed into the
    drum and then the hub. On later models they made it so the drum
    mounted on the outside of the drum and could be removed without pulling
    the hub off the axle. If you have one of these axles just described our
    kit will not fit. Bill

[/ QUOTE ] Could I jsut post up a pic and someone tell me if its inside or outside?? What would you need pic of? hub/drum with wheel off? Or maybe someone has a pic of one mounted inside and other outside.

3. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Chris, when I went with rear disc brakes it was on a 83 14b.
    I used the tsm kit. Now I swapped the old stuff onto a ribbed 1988 14b everything bolted on the same. I think they might be talking about the 88 on up new pickup body style.Mine came out of 88 k-30 crewcab.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

See I figured the same thing on the 88 up trucks and body styles, damn GM and changing half the lineup! Just for reference sake what is meant by inside outside. Anyone got a pic of one and then the other?

5. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

If you can pull the rotor off without removing the hub then it is on the outside. If the rotor is on the inside you have to pull the whole hub off to remove the rotor.

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

good, I believe the kit will fit my axle. Whoohoo.

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

This pic might help. As you can see, the rotor is behind the hub. The wheel studs go through the rotor then the hub. There is no way to get the rotor off without removing the hub. This 14BFF is a '77 model.

[​IMG]

The later design has the drum mounted in front of the hub. This design is similar to a rear 10 bolt in that you can pull the wheel and then pull the drum. The wheel studs on the later design go through the hub and then through the drum.

Hope that helps! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

im 90% sure that is how my axle is, ill have to go take tire off it and be sure but if i remember right it is. btw, dont know if anyone has heard but azkickin is putting together a kit with all the goodies for e-brake with the caddy calipers. Bill says should be ready in next month or so. I havent heard that before so just passing it along.