Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1988 K5 lift

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by jvcallaway, Sep 26, 2005.

1. jvcallaway

jvcallaway Registered Member

I have a couple of questions:

1. I want to do a lift on my '88 K5 (2"-4" MAX.) that is all spring. I have seen kits that include 4 springs, brake line extensions, dropped steering arm, u -bolts etc. in the 400-600 range. Can you recommend one? Also, I will use Rancho shocks.

2. I previously owned an '87 K5 that had a factory 4-shock front end. Are there any aftermarket 4-shock conversion kits that I can swap onto my 2 shock set up at the time of the lift being installed?

3. Is there anything other than the dropped steering arm and brake lines that will need to be adjusted? (transfer case, etc.)

4. My purpose is to make my 'new' Blazer just like my old one. My old '87, according to the original owner, was ordered as a 'zkz' model which included the four shock front end and an extra short leaf under each leaf spring. The truck sat nice and I was able to run 15 x 10 rims with MT Baja Radials 33 x 14.50. That is exactly what I want to run on the K5 and I want it all spring, no blocks. I only want to lift it the minimum needed to run these tires/rims as all I do is surf fish on the coast (no rock climbing, etc.)

any and all info will be appreciated and I am not beholden to any brand name (except the Ranchos). Thanks-Jason

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Jason, take a look at our project "burly 'burb" on our website in the custom rigs section HERE
    I think this is pretty much what you're looking for except you'll use a lifted rear spring instead of the flip kit. If you do the 3" front spring, we'd use a 4" rear spring to help keep it level.
    It's now too late for me to look up the pricing but this should help get you started till I can get to the catalog.

3. jvcallaway

jvcallaway Registered Member

thanks for the link. If you have a 'kit' like the one you used on the 'burb, I'd like to know the price. so far from what I've read, I'd need four springs, the u bolts, brake line relocator brackets, and necesarry bolts. prett straightforward. thanks again.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We can get you a Tuff Country kit with front and rear springs, ubolts, brakeline brackets and shocks for $735. Then of course there are the extras like HD shackles, greasable bushings, steering box braces, etc if you want to go that route.
    If you want to duplicate the 'burly burb suspension, we'd start with the $735 and add the 2" drop pitman arm, swaybar disconnects, HD front shackles, greasable rear bushing kit, braided brake line kit, 4.5" bumpstops, greasable main eye bushing kit and a steering box brace for an additional $664.
    There is also the option of adding some bilstein shocks instead of the TCI shocks and depending on what type shocks you get, they would add about $200 to the total.
    Let us know what you need and we'll get the ball rolling.

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

these prices may seem a little high compared to what your looking at but its worth it. ord is the best off road shop period. TC (tuff country) has arguably the best valued springs on the market. they have a very good ride and are fairly inexpensive. a flip kit would be cheaper than rear springs. heres a link to a flip kit install: http://coloradok5.com/ordflipreview.shtml also a flip kit uses factory springs (with less arch) and flips your shackle from a tension to compression position. giving you more flex and a better ride. Even if you dont need the flex the better ride is nice to have. Dont even bother with the dual front shock kit. its a total waste of your money. one shock at each front wheel is more than enough to dampen the ride. Just ask anyone one here, i dont think 1 user would say do with a dual front shock kit. for front springs/ ubolts its $225, $185 for a flip, $150 for tc shocks, expect another $150 for brakelines, $79 for steering. This will be a basic lift that will perform and ride verywell for a total of $789.00 Also its a good idea to add a swaybar dissconnect kit instead of drop brackets. because the sway bar moves in an arc, when the suspension moves up and down the sway bar can bind giving you a rough ride. Most if not all people w/ any amount of lift will tell you to just get rid of the sway bar. hell i dont even notice its gone unless i do something that the truck wasnt designed to do w. it on. :D this should get you started

Nick