Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1988 Ranger

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mud390, Oct 19, 2004.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I'm looking for a good second vehicle that will be a daily driver/gas getter type truck. I found a 1988 Ford Ranger regular cab long bed for sale. It has a 2.9 V6, 5spd manual, tilt, cruise, and an awesome working A/C. The body is straight as can be with very recent paint that looks really nice. Factory aluminum bullet hole wheels with newer tires (85%). For the bad. It could use shocks, needs a driver side door panel, the driver side seat needs either replaced or new foam, but the seat cover is in great shape, will need a clutch soon, but can be adjusted for now. Asking price is $1800, but he told me he would take %1600 if I could come up with the cash by the end of the week. I'm thinking about offering him $1400 and seeing what he says. What do y'all think? Pass it up or jump on it? Thanks!!!

Kris

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Way too much, I'd offer half that.

My DD is a ranger, it's an ok truck, good MPG, 5 speed, etc.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I would only offer the guy a 1000 to 1200 if it was in perfect mechanical order . You can wait and find something even better for what he is asking I'm sure , maybe even an S-10 with 4.3 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Yup in a quick search on autotrader.com , I found lots of nice trucks under 2 grand , in your region even .

[​IMG]

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

4.3 with an auto is a thirsty little piglet

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to avoid another truck that likes to drink gas. I'm just wanting something more economical to drive to and from work. I would probably use it to haul around my 4 wheeler on the weekends to places that aren't too far away. I'm not looking for anything 4x4, unless I find a smoking deal.

Kris

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well I get like 15 mpg combined by driving nice in my Full Size Blazer ( I also don't want to lose my license AGAIN ) , I would think an EFI 4.3 would do better than that .

Oh well , get what YOU want , I am just a little biased to the Chevy Gods /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My 3.0L truck gets 20 mpg on a regular basis, but I wouldn't expect any 2.9L truck to do that well.