Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1988 silverado K5 on off switch/es in the cab

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtwarrior17, Mar 9, 2005.

1. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I have two on off switches mounted on the dash on the driver side and i don't know what the helll they do. One is a switch like nascar uses that goes up and down and the other is a big green switch that goes from left to right and fell off.

Any ideas?

2. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

What kind of question is this?

Those switches are obviously not factory if that's what you'retrying to figure out.

If you want to know what they do I would...

1. flip the switch, see what happens.
    2. follow the wires and see where they lead to.

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I have tried flippin em but i get nothin. I was hopin it was some sort of electric locker switch but i wanted to make sure it wasn't factory crap.

I guess i could jack it up flip the switch and see if they lock up. damn that would be sweet.

4. xanthias

xanthias 1/2 ton status

Well, if that's the case, electric lockers, your diff will have a wire running into it. Only real solution is to trace the wires.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

be careful!

Be very careful!--The previous owner might have installed an ejection seat!!:D

But seriously,I'd trace the wires--when I got my 82 K20,it had several switches under the dash too--I turned them on too see what they were hooked too--one of them still had a hot wire,and the other wire was just tucked under the rug from whatever it used to go to--it turned red and melted a nice path into the rug,almost set the truck on fire--it was hooked direct to the fuse block,with no fuse inline!!--the other was for an electric fuel pump,no fuse on it either--and the pump was disconnected,mounted on the frame rail,with its wires bare and dangling next to the exhaust!:doah: -glad I looked at those wires before I got it running and drove it!...:crazy:

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i really doubt they are for electric lockers. only way to know is look under the dash and trace em. dont even bother jacking the truck up to see if it locks the diff. if you want, look for a wire going into it, but i think even that is wasting your time. most likely they are for old offroad lights that were on there before u got it.