Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1988..sluggish..STRONG gas smells...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SS66, Oct 4, 2006.

1. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

My 88 seems sluggish... especially at higher speeds..the more gas I give it at higher speeds...the more it seems to bog down..I also smell gas whenever I drive and today noticed a little blueish smoke coming out of the vents when I first started driving... ( I imagine thats from oil and not related ).

Anyone know what this COULD be?
    I just got the thing and havent even looked if its a carb or FI... If its FI.. I know to check the injectors.. and if its a carb...will I know Im screwed because I wont dare mess with a carb :-)

Thanks once again CK5

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

do you leak gas on to the ground at all, being a 88 you should have a TBI, is your check engine light on? Has your temp gague been running lower or higher than normal?

3. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Yes actually, my check engine light goes on after about 5 minutes of driving and usually stays on after that! Ive only looked at the temp guage a few times and it was fine..

I noticed a little puddle under the front of truck when I stopped to park.. I just thought it was oil, I had on good clothes so I didnt get under to double check.... HMMMMM
    ...could it be gas?

4. 1979jimmy350

you need to figure out what code the computer is throwing, take a paper clip and connect the two upper right termanial of the ALDL connector then turn the key to the on postion then count the flashes and post back up what you get, it will start with a code 12 three times then flash your codes each three time then end again with a code 12

5. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

I went out there and did as you told me to.. when I first did it.. I got a series of blinks as expected.. but I didnt write them down.. I was just trying to see if it would work.. well.. when I went to do it a second time so I could write down the pattern.................it wouldnt work.. I even started it and let it run for a few seconds then shut it off and tried again.. nothing... I tried about 6 times with the same results...

When it did get the pattern the first time.. two of the blinks..were really dull.. not even half as bright as the other 3 or so..

Im gonna try again later or tomorrow... I cant really be starting it up because its really loud and my neighbors LOVE to complain... but thanks alot for the advice..please check back tomorrow!

Do you know offhand what it MIGHT be? I should just go buy a code reader..they are good to have on hand anyway

THANK ALOT!

6. 1979jimmy350

for an OBD I there is not reason really to get a code reader, it could be a few things causing you to run really rich like sensors being bad

7. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

I still cant seem to replicate the series of blinks I got lastnight..even after a short drive today. However after looking around I did find that a plug wire is OFF the plug and burnt up rather badly.. Im hoping the PO pulled it off BECAUSE it was burnt and not for some other god forsaken reason... So hopefully thats the problem...now I just gotta locate the oil leak.

Thanks!