Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1988 Suburban A/C question - It's FIXED! another satisfied customer...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudzer, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

1988 Suburban A/C question - It\'s FIXED! another satisfied customer...

My '88 Burban A/C has quit working. It worked fine a few days ago, then just quit working all together. I mean, the fan turns and blows air, but does not cool. The clutch is NOT switching on at all. I thought it was low on freon. It has been converted to R134a so, I put some freon in the system thinking it would cause the compressor to kick in. Still nothing. This unit has rear air as well - just FYI. My question is, do any of you with the Harrison HR-6 compressor hear an audible click when you turn the ignition to "run" position (without starting the truck), then when selecting MAX A/C? I co-worker checked his FROD and you can hear the clutch engage without the engine running.

What I'm trying to narrow down - is it the Clutch needing replaced? How can I troubleshoot the clutch? Thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Re: 1988 Suburban A/C question

I hear the click of the idle solenoid kicking in. Is that what your hearing?

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    How can I troubleshoot the clutch?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Disconnect the wiring from it first. Then ground one of the connections on the compressor clutch and apply 12 volts to the other connection. The clutch should snap closed immediately. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif If it doesn't, then it's time to relpace the clutch coil. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

On the passenger side is the dryer (silver bottle). On one of the lines out is electrical device with two wires. That's the device that does not allow the compressor to run if it's low on freon. Un plug it and jumper it. If the clutch kicks in then it's either low on freon OR there is a problem with that switch.

If it doesn't kick in then either clutch or that relay on the A/C box has a problem.

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

+++UPDATE+++

Just checked it using Grim's idea and the compressor kicked in. I giggled the wires by the switch and found out the connections were a little shoddy, so I'll get that replaced and be good to go.

Thanks guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif And thanks Grim - I owe you bigtime. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif