Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1988 Suburban front doors sag

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by callahan, Sep 17, 2002.

1. callahan

callahan Newbie

The front doors on my 1988 suburban are sagging. The doors are becoming difficult to open and close, the striker bolt is starting to wear a flat edge on it.

What is the procedure for adjusting the doors so that they do not sag ???

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Help section of your local parts store. Hinges need new bushings. About $10 and a lot of cussing. The adjustment should pull back once those are replaced.

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

The hinge pins wear out the mounting holes that they sit in which makes them sloppy. Try to pick up the door by opening it about halfway and lifting up on the back (the end with the latch) You will probably notice it moves a little bit and goes "clunk, clunk".

You can pick up a hinge rebuild kit at most auto parts stores. The kits that I have purchased all came with a new pin and new bronze bushings for the top and bottom of the pin.

I think the kits are about $7.00 each and you need two per door. Do them both.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yup, you need new bushings, and if they're really worn, new pins too since they get a groove worn in them if the bushings have been toast for awhile. I got my bushing kit at the dealer, less than $15 for each door and they came with the new pins too. If you get the new pins the old ones are easier to get out to, since you can just cut right through them and they basically fall out. If you reuse the old pins you have to remove the little slide on locking jobbie, and that can be a PITA. Probably want to do new door seals at the same time, since as the door sags it will compress the old seal in wierd places so when the door goes back to where it's supposed to be you'll end up with leaks. </font color>