Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1988-up "new style" trucks and 81-87 C/K owners..

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by dyeager535, Jun 14, 2002.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

1988-up \"new style\" trucks and 81-87 C/K owners..

Anyone that owns both of these vintage trucks, would you be so kind as to just take a glance at the radiators in both, and see if the '88-up style could be made to fit with a little work in the '81-87's? Same or similar coolant inlet/outlets, etc. Manual trans already, so tranny cooling doesn't concern me either. I know the 73-80 trucks used the same radiators, so if you own one of those, that would be a fair comparison to the '88-ups as well...

I know sometime '88 or later GM went with AL radiators (they must have right? : ) and I like the idea of adapting one to my earlier truck for the better cooling.

I already know the HxW difference is supposedly -1" either dimension on the newer trucks if already using the "standard" height '81-87 radiator, but as long as the mounting system is the same, or adaptable, excluding the fan which doesn't matter, I think it would be a good swap, and a heck of a lot cheaper than a non-stock AL replacement.

Thanks!

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: 1988-up \"new style\" trucks and 81-87 C/K owners..

The radiator in my '90 Sub is 21 inches high x 34 inches wide.

The radiator in my wifes '94 Sub is only 19 inches high, but it's a whopping 41 inches wide! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Both came from the factory with 350's, auto trannies and the tow package. The inputs and outputs are in the same locations on both. Those measurements are to the outside edges of the radiator, including the side tanks.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

http://www.radiatorbarn.com/s7.asp?ac=Y&year=1994&make=CHEVROLET&model=C%2FK+SERIES&submodel=NONE&engine_size=V8%2C+5.7L%2C+350ci

Shows a lot narrower tank. 40" IS huge, but wherever I got my original 1" size difference from, I can't find. But in the above link, it shows not nearly the 40" you mention...obviously you aren't lying, just wonder why such a difference.

On the '94, do the radiators look like they mount the same way, with the "bumps" on top of the tanks and bottom, that ride on the rubber cushions?

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

The radiators were in deed that wide, I looked up radiator hoses for a 96 at work and it list a 42" radiator. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yeah, I had just come in from the driveway, with my measuring tape in hand when I entered those numbers. I hadn't ever really paid attention to how big the radiator is on that thing. It has the tranny cooler built into the passenger side tank and the engine oil cooler built into the drivers side tank. It does mount with the rubber cushions though. The radiator support and shroud assembly on the '94 also hide the radiator much more than in the '90.