Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1988 wheel hop

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by JunkYardCrawler, Nov 2, 2001.

1. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

is there a way to get rid of my wheel hop i am getting in my 88 chevy c1500 long bed? could i build something like a ladder bar? any help would be cool. thanx

Going nowhere everybody is a Moto Psycho
    Got my wheels in motion and i got a path to beat

2. REBEL_WITH_A_4X4

REBEL_WITH_A_4X4 Newbie

Yeah you sure could build something. It would be pretty easy too. You would need a welder, and some metal. you could either copy your favorite ladder bar design, or just make some upper links. For the upper links there is a way to not need a welder. You would make some brackets out of 1/4" thick 3" angle to be bolted to the frame just a little ahead of the spring bracket (on the bottom or inside of frame rail, whichever creates best alignment). The other brackets would need to be sandwiched between the spring perch and spring. You will then need some 1" SCH 80 pipe and some Kenworth (semi) tie rod ends. If you don't have a pipe threader you'll need the tie rod adjusting sleeves too. After tightening everything you would need to go to an exhaust shop and have the brackets permenantly welded down and the adjusting sleves welded to the ends of the pipe (probably only charge $30). I'm sure you get the picture, you now have adjustable preload links - similar to ladder bars.