Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1989 454 tbi intake manifold question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 3car, Oct 10, 2003.

1. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

i have a 89 sub with a tbi 454.there seems to be an adapter plate that mounts the tbi unit to a 4bbl intake,with a coolant line running to it?i havent pulled it apart to verify this,but am i correct in my observation?is it just a quadrajet manifold under there? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

AFAIK, YES its an adapter on top of a QJet intake! That preheater is important too! Be sure to use it!

-Dan

3. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

cool,thanks.my next question would be...what does the preheater do?does it cool the air charge once the engine is up to temp,or is it there to raise the temp??? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

The preheater helps bring the engine to operating temps more quickley...

Are you going to stick with the TBI or are you going to put a carb on it..The older style TBI intakes (like the one you have) are VERY restrictive...Edelbrock makes a nice TBI replacement intake mannie...

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The TB heater plate/adapter is there to prevent Icing. It keeps the throttle plates warm so Ice cant form on them an cause the throttle plates to stick open.I think it was a CYA thing GM did to the TBI BBCs because of all the air they could gulp down.
    It is possible for the plates to ice up even in temps above freezing when operated at or near WOT. The heater plate is there to stop that