Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1989 Chevy Blazer ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bassinfool, Sep 11, 2004.

1. bassinfool

bassinfool Newbie

1989 Chevy Blazer ?\'s

350 V8
    4X4
    Auto
    Style is listed as V10 (Utility?)

Just bought it, rusty but runs great...Daily driver, but would also like to tow a 20ft. fiberglass bass boat.

It has a tow package, but no hitch/ball. Anything I should know before I buy the hitch? Size, brand, etc...

Any info would be greatly appreciated, towing or general info about the Blazer. This is my first Blazer so don't know too much.

Thanks!!

Jay.

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Re: 1989 Chevy Blazer ?\'s

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the board!

if your truck is bone stock, double check that there is a tranny cooler (and it doesnt hurt to add/upgrade another tranny cooler- I have 2 external ones). 20 foot fiberglass bass boat is pretty light, so I doubt you will have any problems towing it.

Other than that, for the hitch itself, Any good class 3 hitch will do- the ones made for the k5 are different than the ones for the pickup, so do check. I dont know if your asking about the hitch, or the hitch ball mount.

Do pick the correct drop ball mount for your application. The trailer for your bass boat should be level (or a little angled down ward) with the rest of your truck.

3. bassinfool

bassinfool Newbie

Great! Thanks for the info.

I did find on an original invoice that says it does have a "Heavy duty cooling and trans cooler"

Hitch or Hitch ball mount?

I don't know what's what. lol. There is a steel? tow package attached to the frame of the Blazer, but it has no attachments extending from it. There is an approx. 1 1/2 inch square opening.

Does that make any sense ? Probably sounds pretty dumb, but I have never done this before.

I have also been reading alot about weight dist. hitches, should I look into this or is the boat light enough to not worry about it?

Thanks again.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

COngrats on the blazer.

YOu have a th700R-4 transmission and it is a very good tranny when it has lived under the correct conditions meaning....your lock up is working correctly, doesn't gear hunt and is kept out of OD when under 50mph or towing, and has a good cooling system. If it has a towing package like you say than it should have lines running into the radiator and also to an external air to fluid cooler behind the grille. That system is adequete if in good shape.

Blazers are not the best tow vehicles mainly because of their short wheel base. How heavy is this 20ft boat? I am not very familiar with boats but thats a decently sized boat correct? If you have a good guess on it's weight let us know. Welcome to CK5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have a 89 with the towing package= HD springs, Engine oil cooler and Tranny cooler 3.73 gears. I tow my 18 foot ski/fish IO all over the West. I have no problems at all it tows my boat great.
    Before you start towing.
    The first thing you should do is change all your drive train fluids (Front rear ends, tranny, Xfer case, Ect). Espically the Tranny fluid! And keep it clean. 700r4s hate bad dirty fluid and heat. Dont put too tall of tires on it if you tow a lot. Mine tows best on 10.50x 31" tires.

6. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

That steel with the 1 1/2" opening is the receiver. You have to buy a hitch that will fit into that opening with the proper height for your trailer.
    That is under your truck.
    [​IMG]

buy one of these
    [​IMG]
    Make sure the ball size and the receiver size (size of square) are correct

7. bassinfool

bassinfool Newbie

Thanks all, you guys rock!

82diesel, thanks for the pics!

The boat and trailer weigh approx. 3,000 - 3,500 #'s.

I will change all fluids like you said and make sure I keep em clean.

I live in Florida, so it gets pretty hot, and I will be towing 100 miles, one-way at the most.

Thanks!!

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks all, you guys rock!

82diesel, thanks for the pics!

The boat and trailer weigh approx. 3,000 - 3,500 #'s.

I will change all fluids like you said and make sure I keep em clean.

I live in Florida, so it gets pretty hot, and I will be towing 100 miles, one-way at the most.

Thanks!!

[/ QUOTE ] 3-3.5K should be no problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif ALso if you could, check your glove box for the vehicle codes and relay any codes starting with "G", they are 3 digit codes. Your gear ratio makes a big difference towing but I would imagine a late model with the tow package would have 3.73's.

On another note, My prayers go out to you guys down there in Florida, mother nature has not been very kind this summer. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. bassinfool

bassinfool Newbie

Thank you very much for the info, and especially for the prayers!!

I will look for the codes.