Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1989 Chevy pinging problem

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by froggy81500, Apr 11, 2002.

1. froggy81500

froggy81500 Newbie

I've got a 1989 Chevy C1500. It's got a 4.3L V-6 and a 5 speed with 213,000+ miles on it. Yeah, I hear you V-8 guys laughing about a V-6. Anyway, here's the problem. When I set the timing to specs, 0 degrees TDC, when I step on it or go up hills, it pings really bad. It seems like the ignition advances too far. I've got the timing retarded to about 6 to 8 degrees ATDC and I've got the pinging under control, but its a little sluggish. I don't think its a problem with carbon build-up in the cylinders since the head gaskets were replaced at about 150,000 miles, before I bought the truck. I've replaced the MAP, IAC, O2, CTS, Knock Sensor, EGR Valve and solenoid, timing chain(about 30,000 miles ago) and the fuel pressure regulator. There's no sign of a vacuum leak and it isn't overheating. Also the regular tune-up stuff-cap, rotor, wires, fuel filter, ect. I've even gone to one heat range cooler on the plugs but no dice. This thing almost sounds like a diesel. I've tried different octane gas and no change there either. I checked under the control module and noticed that there wasn't much grease left under it so I wonder if the module could be bad. But everyone I've talked to tell me that modules usually just quit. Is that the case, or could it be malfunctioning. I might be able to get my hands on another to test that theory but I gotta break into my friend's car to get it while he's in jail! So if there's anyone out there with any suggestions(other than getting a new truck or a V-8), or if someone could tell me if modules quit altogether or can m they start having problems, please let me know 'cause this pinging is driving me nuts.

2. HDFXB

HDFXB Registered Member

Might try checking the wiring from the knock sensor to the module. My 92 has a broken connector that comes off once and a while, and it will ping like you describe. It doesn't flag a check engine light either.

3. froggy81500

froggy81500 Newbie

I already checked the wires for the knock sensor and the Electronic spark control gizmo thats mounted on the intake. Everything tested good. I'm not entirely sure about the MAP sensor. I replaced it a couple of years ago just for the hell of it. Does anybody know a good way to test these things? I might be able to get one from a good running engine and swap it.