Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1989 GMC Jimmy pulls right while braking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stevep, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Stevep

Stevep Newbie

Need some help diagnosing a problem while braking. Truck pulls to the right. Had a local shop align the truck, one ball joint was found to be bad so had all 4 replaced. Replaced front stainless steel brake lines and proportioning valve. Still did not solve problem. Swapped tires from side to side, no luck. Shop even put new calipers on the front and new rear cylinders on at no charge to me. Still pulled right. Frame was checked for cracks and loose suspension components, crushed bushings etc. Nothing out of the ordinary was found. Also a complete brake job was done (new pads, rotors, shoes and drums). Help!!
    Steve

2. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

did you check all of the hard lines one could be crushed or clogged

3. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

Check all the hard lines.....seems like that's the only thing left. This happened on my Tahoe.....turns out the CV seal was leaking and getting lubricant on the rotor. But something along those lines (leakage) would have been noticed by the shope doing the work. Hope you find the problem!

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

check the alignment...shops suck. every alignment my truck has ever had, except for the ones i do, pull. just take a piece of wood and mark the distance between the inside edge of the front and rear parts of the front tires...like one in front of the tire and one behind...if its even, then give it some more toe in, since when you brake the tires toe out, the truck pulls...also make sure your u-bolts are tight

5. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I actually had the same problem, and went through the same R&R cycles. What fixed mine was not the brakes, but warn out steering. I would have the shop at least give a closer check in that area. My steering had always been a little loose, until I towed a 25" Travel Trailer, and was all over the road. Under hard breaking, I sometimes would be uncontrolable as well, but it was not all the time. In retrospect, I am willing to bet the times that were the worst is when I was on bad road with ruts, etc.

At any rate, with steering fixed, I am now in control of all stopping. And by the way, before the fix, I also pulled to the right upon breaking.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Fill out your profile!!! Tell us what has been done to the truck? Lifted? What steering corection made. Mine pulls under braking because it has 6" of lift and only a 4" raised steering arm on the knucle. The draglink runs downhill to the steering arm. When I get on the brakes and the front end squats it causes bumpsteer. This weekend I'm putting a dropped pitman arm on and that should help my problem some. So tell us exactly how your truck is setup, please. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Check your tie-rods. I had the same problem and it ended up being the passenger side tie-rod.

70~K5 Is this a common problem if the Draglink runs downhill? I noticed that mine still pulls everyonce in a while and I haven't been able to figure out a pattern to it. (i.e. hardness of braking, road surface, grade of road)

Thanks

James

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Had the same thing with my 89. went thru the whole brake system. Front end was Ok. Ended up replacing all of the shocks and that cured the pull. Turned out the RR shock was bad and not working at all.

Please fill out your profile. (at least with info on your truck) Thanks

9. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

More common than you might think...
    --
    I think most do...
    --
    One thing that will make it worse, is if the proportioning valve is defective, or if the brakes are not bled properly, and there is air in the rear brakes, (particularly at the fitting at the master cylinder..)
    --
    There is a poceedure for bleeding GM truck brakes...there is a pin under the rubber plug on the proportioning valve that needs to be pushed in when bleeding
    --
    Suction bleeding the rear brakes is the best...
    --
    GM truck brakes, are set up so that when you push the pedal, the rear brakes apply first, when the pressure rises, the proportioning valve applys the front brakes..
    --
    If the rear brakes do not apply properly, or hard enough, you will be stopping primarly with the front brakes, any defect in alignment, linkage or "tracking" will cause it to pull, usualy to the right...
    --
    To possibly correct "dog-tracking", try using a "come-along"..and loosen the u-bolts on the front springs, and teh sway bar/frame mount....pull the right side of the axle foreward, tighten the u-bolts...do the oppisite on the left side.pull it to the rear.....

At the rear, do the opposite, pull the left foreward, and the right to the rear
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif