Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1989 Jeep Cherokee.....cooling problem..HELP

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by 55Willy, Mar 22, 2002.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Okay I own a 1989 Jeep Cherokee. it has the 4.0 and an auto. It overheated on me up in the snow on a 4x4 trip and it has been a problem ever since. So purchased a new radiator and a new fan clutch too. I went to install both those today to get it to cool back down..Well I pulled the upper radiator hose off and....it's got oil all over it!!!!!!/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif SO the only way it can be there is a cracked head or block!!!!!!!! I'm only $600 short of paying this thing off so I was gonna keep it...now it has to go cus I don't have any motor money /forums/images/icons/frown.gif..but how long do I have before the antifreeze will toast a bearing????
    When it rains...it pours/forums/images/icons/frown.gif

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

pretty quickly actually.. but its hard to say when it will happen.. It could last you 2 minutes to 200 hours to 200 days... never really know... But check everything out very carefully.. pull the dip stick and see if antifreeze and oil have mixed.. keep checking it.. you might have just toasted a valve cover seal or something... sorry i cant help you any more then this. If i could look at it then i might be able to help more.. just keep an eye on the oil...

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

It's already lasted 3 months since it first pegged out at over 300 degrees. I'll keep an eye on the oil, thanks.

I just saw a 95 Blazer in the paper...MMMMmmmmm trade in time,LOL.

4. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

is the oil kinda milky white?? that is the first sign of a blown head gasket.. I work for a parts store and we sell a kit that will let you test to see if you blew your head gasket.. basically you add this blue fluid to what looks like a turkey baster then take the cap off the rad. and basically you end up sucking the fumes into the liquid.. if it turns green or yellow then you have a blown headgasket if not then your fine... check into it.. if you want me to i will see what it is called exactly.. Also is there an oreilly's auto parts store around you.. if so i can get you the exact part number..

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Jeeps don't have radiator caps, the over flow is pressurized and it has to go through about 10 feet of tubing and valves til it gets to the block..most [censored] up design I have seen!!!
    No O'Reilly's here/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    When th eover flow blew up, I replced it and topped the coolant back off. but the overflow is "clean" looking, but when I pulled the radiator hose off it had oil all over the inlet, and when I looked in the hose it was all covered and I had ran my finger around and it was thoroughly coated in oil, and I drained the radiator it was nasty looking. all the green coolant came out first and then it was a mud colored fluid....

on a side note..You wanna by a Jeep???/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Prolly a head gasket. I'd fix it...hard to trade in like that anyways.

Rene

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I'd fix it

<hr></blockquote>
    Cool, come on down, bring some money too,LOL
    I have about -$2000(yes that is a negative number) I can spend on it

8. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

then sorry to say it but it sounds like you gasket is shot man... Most expensive part of doing a head gasket job is the labor on the head itself.. the rest you can get cheap and do yourself...