Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1989 K1500

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Stylzz, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

I am considering buying one from a guy I know at work. It has 125000 miles and he says it runs great. Is there anything in particular I should look at before buying it and what are some common problems people have with them.
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

yeah they are great trucks I love mine but im in the middle of swaping in a TH350. My truck is really close to 85,000 miles on it. Just check for the normal stuff like leaks, 4x4 working in hi & lo, lights working, just stuff like that. Whats this truck got in it? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

3. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Its got a 350 EFI, Emissions legal headers and new exhaust. Its got the leather interior, 8' bed. Overall its pretty clean the only problem I know of is the seal at the yoke in the rear is leaking. I just didnt know if there were any particular problems with that year or model.
    Thanks,
    Joe

4. Miller

Miller Registered Member

take it for test drive, put in 4wd and drive it, listen for any clanking from the front end. does the front sit alittle lower than rear, if the front sits level or taller than the t-bars are cranked to much and you can bet on replaceing ball joints, idler arm, pitman arm,. Im saying this without seeing the truck. I know this stuff wears out real quick with the front end cranked up, ive been there done that. mines also an 89.

get a bucket of saop n water out and clean that thing like it yours, so manythings are noticed while your scrubn on rig that would otherwise go unoticed.

what kinda trannys, auto or manul.
    do a compression check if you can , the actual compression wont tell you much because a high mileage motor will have just as good or better compression that a new motor due to the rings letting oil past. the oil makes great seal keeping compression numbers up.

if you do compression check pay attention to varying cylinders, you dont want 120psi in 7 cylinders and 80 in one.

the low compression could be burnt vavle or a few other things.

other than that, thats all I got to say

good luck
    Evan

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

At 125,000 if the tranny has not been replaced or rebuilt, you can pretty much count on problems in the near future. This is an easy $1500, and should be factored into the purchase price.