Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1989 K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mud390, Sep 27, 2004.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I was riding around up by the mall today and I saw a 1989 K5 sitting in a car lot. Looked clean, so I pulled in a checked it out. Its got a 350/700r4/208 with 10 bolts front and rear. I didn't get the gear ratio though. 33in AT tires with about 70% tread on them. The whole underside of the truck is really clean. You can tell it has been washed recently, but there are some spots you just can't get and it was obviously clean. 123,xxx miles. Interior was spotless tan cloth. Both fenders have spots down to the bare metal with rust starting, but the spots are no bigger around than a coffee cup. Also one spot on the passenger side of the cowl. Two tone blue and brown/tan paint that is in good shape. Asking price is $2650, but its at a big name dealership, so what do you think a good low ball number would be after a ,ahem, thorough test drive? Oh, it even has the stock radio in it. What are your thoughts??? Thanks!!!!

Kris

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, I paid 4k for mine in it's stock form, the interior sucked, the paint was horrible, at the time no rust, it had 103k and this was 4 years ago. It could also have something to do with my area. I'd try to get them down to like $2200 or something but even at the full price I would probably buy it if it's what you want.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like a decent deal to me.

4. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Sounds good to me. I paid $3,900 for mine with, at the time little to no rust, shiny paint and perfect interior and 90k miles.

If you want to low ball, look in the forward part of the rear fender well area. The cutout area for the rear seat footwell area is alomost always completely rusted out. If it is you can use that as a reason for a lower price. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

An '89 should have a 241 t-case not a 208. The '89's were also notorious for having the basecoat/clearcoat flake off (mine was terrible) Otherwise the '89's are the more desirable k5's to buy because of the 241 case, updated front grille, mechanical speedo cable unlike the '90 and '91. Definitely check the floor behind the front seats where the 7" rise is for the rear footwell. Like everyone else said it is almost always completely rotted. I hope it works out for you, Blazers are so much fun. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

paid 5k for mine but it is in spectacular condition, new paint, interior looks like the day it was bought, under the hood is super clean and no rust on the entire truck, i love my 89 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif i say go for it

7. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I paid $4,200 for mine. 1990 GMC F/S Jimmy. Low rust for a new england jimmy, new pait/tranny/starter/oil pan/exhaust/u-joints. Mint interior save the rear carpet.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

There is no better pride you will have then when someone looks at you like your a hick and you smile back at them and say "GOD DANG RITE I IS!" /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Well, I went and drove it yesterday. The salesman at the dealership straight up told me, "its a piece of sh!t" when I asked him about it. He tried to sell me a Bronco instead. Yeah...ok. So I looked over it again really good inside and out. The interior is clean. I mean super clean! Power everything. The driver and passanger window are super slow going up and down, but the rear works great, just a little loud. Power locks work fine. A/C blows cold to cool. Heater works good. Stock cassette deck works dandy. The engine compartment is clean too. New alternator. Belts in good shape. Motor isn't oily or greasy. They say it has 123,xxx miles, but the odometer reads 75,xxx. Doesn't add up?!? When I started it, it cranked right up. Puffed smoke really nice for about 10 seconds and then quit. Defintely oil smoke. Bad vavle seals, right? After 5 minutes of warm up, didn't smoke at all when I gave it a little gas. Engine idled perfect. No weird sounds or behavior. Driving it down the road was kind of scary. Steering needs help! Lots of play, but not crazy. Motor and tranny seemed to do just fine, but when I gave it some gas to "check acceleration" it acted like it wanted to bog down and the tranny didn't know whether to downshift or stay in gear. Maybe like the converter was locking and unlock? Any thoughts? Brakes will stop on a dime. Like I said before, asking price is $2600. Still sound like a good deal? If its there next week I'm thinking about offering $2000 cash money and see what they say. What are your thoughts? Thanks again!

Kris

9. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

well the guy said he thought it was a piece of s#it so I would go up there with $1750. cash. Offer him $1500, and if he doesnt bite, just haggle with him a little bit.

Remington

10. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

$2600 if it needed nothing but resto work.
    Greasy engines are good, no rust. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    I think $1500 is even a little much. How long has it been there? Sounds like a $1,200 to $1,500 truck to me. And don't forget all the rust you will find AFTER it's said & done. I have holes in mine I missed! (IN THE CAB!)

11. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

What ever you offer, consider a new engine or tranny (or both). I'd say it's still a steal at 2g's.

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well if you are like me and are tired of wrenching on something everytime you want to drive it than I would get something newer, like me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you think you can handle and don't mind fixing some of the small things that are wrong with it than go for it.

13. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Engine bogging down under acceleration, I had that problem and it was just a clogged fuel filter.