Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1990 Caddy 4.9 - Problem/Some uses?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, Sep 22, 2001.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey y'all.

My dad had some kind of freaky problem with his '90 caddy 4.9, so he had it replaced (unfortunately, just out of warranty). He now has the old motor sitting in a trailer at his house, and it's soon to be at my house, on the stand, ready for full tear-down. I didn't do any of the diag or work on the motor, so I have no idea what it could be yet.

The problem/symptom with the motor was antifreeze in the oil, and sudden sporadic drops in oil PSI. He did the head gaskets, which were in beautiful condition, intake gasket also in gorgeous shape.

Anyone know what could be wrong with this motor?? It was a powerhouse before it was pulled (at least a billion times more powerful than my wife's Pontiac FWD, which is decent).

Also, anyone know if this motor has sleeved cylinders? I guess I'll find that out pretty soon, though.

Can I put this thing in my K5 too maybe?? I dunno what bellhousing pattern it has, it came from a FWD DeVille.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I could be wrong, but I imagine the custom wiring issues and a totally-custom chip would add more headache than the swap may be worth. Plus, there's the possibility of a wacky bellhousing bolt pattern. Even Advance Adapters may not have an adapter to put a transmission (as opposed to a transaxle) on that motor.
    But if you had enough $$$ to throw at it to pull it off, it would look pretty cool...

September 11, 2001--"A date which will live in infamy"

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I doubt I'd have the money for it..., but yeah, it would be neat!

I took a look at it tonight on the trailer. The intake is off it. This thing has a wide V!!! The friggin intake was like 1 1/2 feet wide! The bellhousing pattern appears identical to my S10's 700R4, though. But it's all soooooo clean and pretty, no burned or leaked oil anywhere...

Looking at my dad's complete motor in the car, it's surprising how few electronics it has. It looked like just the egr solenoid, MAP, and O2. It's tuned port and the fuel rail and injectors are still there, but I'd have to find a throttle body for it.

Anyone have an idea what might be wrong with it? Maybe I'll rebuild/repair it and stick it on ebay... Make my dad back some of the new motor costs...

Ratch

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Top.

Anybody know these symptoms?? coolant in oil and sporadic drops in pressure? Heads and intake gaskets are good.

Ratch

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Use it as a boat anchor. Seriously those motors are junk. WQhen the go bad like you ere saying oil in the coolant most likely it has a cracked head or block. Both common on those motors. My shop has swaped out a ton of those motors. Go ask anybody that works on cars for a living about those motors, and if they are rebuildable. They will tell you the motor is a POS and notrebuilding because they crack heads before the head gasket blows. Did you send the heads out to get pressure tested? Just because they look good doesnt mean that they are, there could be a hairline crack in it somewhere.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

DD, I think you're thinking of the 4.0 with sleeved cylinders, which is reputably a POS. I believe the Caddy 4.9l is supposed to be the top motor available that year.

I don't know if they pressure tested the heads or the block (I assumed they would, the original guy that looked at it is an A tech), but I will try to get that done when I take it apart. I don't figure it'll work too well in my K5 anymore after looking at it some more, though. Definately not worth the cutom crap I'd have to do...

Anybody know anyone looking for a soon-to-be-rebuilt Caddy 4.9l?

Ratch