Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1990 Cavalier Turn Signal / Hazard Switch

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by scavenger, Jan 3, 2003.

1. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has experience with turn signal switches in Cavaliers. My brother in-law just bought a 1990 Cavalier for a work car and it has a problem with the directionals. When we activate the left or right turn signal they don't come on, and you can't hear the flasher clicking. The fuse is good, and there is power to the fuse. One thing I did notice is that the knob for the emergency flasher on the steering column is missing, and if you look inside the hole where the knob used to be it looks like someone stuck a screwdriver in there and mangled everything. I used some needle nose pliars and pushed in a brass connector and the emergency flashers activated and flashed all 4 turn signal bulbs, and we could hear the flasher but can't find it (sounds like it is under the dash somewhere). With the emergency flasher knob missing and the damage from a screwdriver or similar object, is it possible that the turn signal switch was damaged. If I do need to replace the turn signal switch, is the emergency flasher switch combined with the turn signal switch, or is this a separate switch. This car has a Non-tilt steering wheel and is a 5 speed if this makes any difference....thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would go get a different steering colum from a salvage yard. I've never changed one in a Cav., but don't think it'd be any different than changing one in a Monte Carlo, and that was easy.

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

the four way and regular turn signals are combined in the same switch, but they are powered by separate flashers. the four way flasher is supplied by battery power, the directional signals are powered by iignition voltage(the key must be on), if the lights all work by pushing in the four way switch, I would suspect the turn signal flasher as your problem, it's probably found under the dash near the fuse box or other relays.

4. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Thanks Guys,
    The turn signal switch was bad and I located the turn signal flasher right next to where the turn signal switch is connected under the dash....thanks again