Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1990: Egnine/Trans/Axel/Steering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by idaho90k5, Jul 16, 2006.

1. idaho90k5

idaho90k5 Registered Member

She has come a long way, but there is still a lot to do.
    [​IMG]

She now has a bullet proof shell of bedliner head to toe, 3" lift, 33" BFG's now on 15x10 wheels and Freightliner Bucket seats.
    [​IMG]

Now it is time for new engine, trans, axel (at least rear) and steering.
    It spends a lot of time on the road going to and from very mild off-road adventures. I also tow a drift boat and 4wheeler trailer with it. So I want and engine that will keep it going 75mph with a load. I also spend a lot of days just idleing round hay fields shooting ground squirels. So I need something that isn't going to over heat. I want a rear axle that is the same width as the front so I can get rid of the 1.5" spacers on either side and I want to get rid of the slop in the steering. This isn't a hardcore rock crawler. Just rig to go tool around the hills in.
    SO! I want input on what engine/trans combo, axel and steering parts I need. What parts would you use and where would you get them. I want everything new.

Thanks.

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Everything new eh? Well if I had the money and was going to leave the 33s on it and not go bigger here is my recipe for a half ton truck. F**d 9" rear end, they are pretty cheap brand new and can be built to many different widths. Stock 454 tbi motor to a 4L80E do a crossover on your steering and that is all. This would involve a substantial investment though. PM me sometime I live out by Ucon.

3. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I would go with a 14 sf for the rear and do something big stroke to get some torque for hauling. 383 400 454 would be the options. The 454 is prolly the cheapest of them all. For transmissions, do the 4l80 if you have the money to get an aftermarket controller and trans.

Looks good!