Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1990 f/s jimmy drifts to the right.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hawkeye649, Feb 9, 2006.

1. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

So I just put a "ton" of money into my rig to get it on wheels and rolling nice. Now it has 4 35x12.5x15 BFG M/T's on 10x15 american racing wagon wheels. It has 4 new moog ball joints, and 4 new moog tie rod ends. I:E: everything that articulates in any maner in regards to steering, save the steering box, has been on the truck for 2 days. I just had it aligned today, and leaving the shop nothing was out of specifications (though not adjustable, caster/camber were within what the printout said the specs were). The calipers are about 2 years old, but I replaced the o-rings in the calipers, the caliper bolts, & I greased the bolts as well. When braking it goes straight, does not seem to pull/drift at all.
    It still pulls to the right slightly. I would more describe it as drifts to the right. The one thing I can think of, is the wheel berring on the right is just that much tighter than the one on the left? When I set the berring tight, then backed off and ran it up again so there was no end play, to set "0" f/p's it didn't seem to spin quite as freely as the left, as I had to turn it approx 2 holes on the lock washer where as the left side just happened to line up after the 0 f/p's procedure. This is kind of supported as well... after about a 20 mile trip I felt the lugs on each wheel, and the ones on the right were "warmer" then the ones on the left, thought neither were really all that warm.
    So should I suspect MY work (everything but alignment) or should I suspect something else? My berring job was carefully and cleanly done, cleaning every bit to a greaseless shine save the captured bearing in the hub, which was cleaned as well as I could. Then very, very, very liberal amounts of amsoil synthetic hi-moly grease was applied to everything and mashed into every crevice possible.
    All symptoms described happened in 2x4 with the hubs unlocked. BTW: the two front tires are used, another posibility is that those two aren't the same exact size...?

And I was so excited that my truck would drive like a new car....

Thanks in advance
    -clueless :confused:

2. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is There An Open Diff In The Rear, Or A Locker?

3. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

1990 F/S Jimmy
    350/700/241/10b/10b both open
    3.73's

Thanks.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

check...

Are the front brake hoses new?...an old one sometimes can act like a check valve,and not let all the pressure off one caliper and cause it to drag..which can make it pull to one side..a kink or a spot mashed flat in a steel brake line can do much the same thing too..sheared or bent center bolts in the leaf springs can cause drifting to one side too..(And the rear axle being misaligned can affect steering too,and straight tracking)..tires that are not the same diameter will cause this too,since one will be trying to go faster or slower than the other..Loose U bolts can let the axles go out of alignment as well as worn bushings or shackles..good luck..:crazy:

5. KTEX

KTEX Registered Member

the right side could have a more friction than the left-brake line,caliper,bearing.was it pulling before you got the new tires?switch the frt tires and see what happens.btw,the caster/camber is adjustable with aftermarket shims,i put 2 in my 90'.also if the frt tires are not the same size it can cause pulls

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Where do you live? Are they compensating for road crown on the alignment machine? Settings change in places where roads have crowning.... If you take one that wasn't compensated for road crown on a road with crowning, it will drift to the right.

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If it is just a slight drift don't bother with it. Most roads have a crown and lifted trucks with wider tires will notice it more. It's sits on 35" MT's so it will never feel car like.:D BTW I have 2 90 K5's, 1 on 32's and 1 on 37's and they both drift to the right.

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Swap the front tires side to side and see what happens, before you go replacing parts again.