Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1990 GMC F/S Jimmy Unhealthy Cooling System Please Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hawkeye649, Nov 7, 2004.

1. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

Patient:
    1990 GMC F/S Jimmy
    350 CUI TBI w/ TH700R4 and NP241
    130,000 miles

A while ago I noticed a slight leak right under the radiator cap. It was along the seam heading down the radiator outside the shroud. I got some JB Weld and drained the radiator. I let it cool off/dry off, and slathered the thing with JB Weld. I let it cure for about 24 hours, and called it fixed after a short test drive.

But recently it has started leaking worse, enough to drain a FULL (not to full line) but full too the top reserve tank in a week.

The JB Weld patch was soft and pliable, and pealed right off (where before it was like a rock).

The temperature rarely gets over the 1/4 mark on the OE gauge.

It also looks like there may be a little dribble from the water pump, bot enough to contribute to the puddle that will form under the truck, but enough to make me wonder if I should go buy a radiator and a water pump and get the job done???? As far as I can tell it isn't from the lower radiator hose which was recently replaced, it looks like the green/white trail heads up futher and out of sight....

Thoughts??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Easiest thing to do would be to just replace the rad. But if your looking for a permanent FIX, get a small propane torch, solder and flux and solder up the leak /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As for the water pump, if in doubt, I'd just replace it, they are only like $20 - $25 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

$148.99 19" radiator
    $24.99 Waterpump ($4.00 core, yet to be returned)
    $39.99 Serpentine Belt, Doesn't fit (a reason to actually bring my core in!)
    A big ole /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif too the people who designed my Jimmy!!! My girlfriend (who watched, the job was so short she didn't loose interest) could have done it!!

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

But I noticed a little green line running down from the box that holds the heater core. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif