Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1990 Jimmy, computer controlled???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by loudandproud, Sep 26, 2000.

1. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if a 1990 Jimmy had a computer controlling stuff on the truck? If so, what does it control?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yes! The computer controls various engine functions. Mostly fuel mixture and ignition timing. It does this with an assortment of sensors; throttle position sensor, O2 sensor,coolant temp sensor, and a few others. The computer also has a self diagnostic feature that stores 'trouble' codes when one of the systems has an abnormal reading.

Hope that helps

Rene

[​IMG]

3. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

Does the computer controll the speedometer??? Thanks

4. GMC4by4

GMC4by4 Registered Member

My '89 has a mechanical speedometer cable from the transfer case. But I've seen older GM cars with vehicle speed sensors (VSS) that run a lead from the speedo to the computer. The computer compares engine speed, O2 gasses, vehicle speed, mass air flow, etc and changes the mixture according to these stats. Most of the newer cars shift the transmission based on VSS input and engine RPM. So what I'm trying to say is because there's no VSS I'd have to see the schematics to see if there is a lead from the speedo to the computer. What are you trying to figure out?

-Rick

5. River

River 1/2 ton status

I also have a `90 K5 and the speedometer is electronic driven. I don`t know if you can adjust it by computer. I have seen solutions to recalibrate the speedo, can`t remember where do. I will look it up see if a can find it again.

Greetings from AMsterdam,

River `90 K5, 350, TH700R4, NP241, "33, 3.08, 10 bolt F, 10 Bolt R(GOV-Lock)

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have had my speedo recalibrated (90 K5) a few times, they change out small plastic gears under the dash, wasn't looking that close at the time or I could tell you more.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel