Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1990 K/5 350 crate motor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spectr17, May 10, 2003.

1. spectr17

spectr17 Newbie

I've got a 1990 K-5 Blazer with 230k miles and it's getting tired. I want to swap in a crate motor but need some info on which crate motor to use. The motor needs to pass CA smog.

Some have suggested Jasper Motors and with their 36 month and 75k mile warranty. I'm in SoCal and some have suggested Kragen Auto parts for their crate motor.

Thanks for any help.

2. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

GM sells a replacement long block for about $2250. I think they have a 36k mile warranty. Jaspers has a better warranty, but the GM block is brand spanking new, while the Jaspers block will be bored over, have a turned crank, hyper pistons, etc. Also the GM block will be four bolt mains, not sure about the Jaspers block.

Jaspers block should be fine if you are going to stay close to stock. For a engine to build up, go GM.

I have a Jaspers block in my GN, and it is so far handling 350hp and 450 tq without dying /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

5. GREASEMONKEY

GREASEMONKEY Registered Member

I just put a Jasper in mine a couple of months ago and so far it runs like a champ. Just check out to where the engine is being manufactured and what kind of warrenty you'll be getting. I had a problem with my Jasper, seems the spark plug threads on the passenger head #2 & #4 where badly corroded and would leak real bad under pressure. Thought it was a header leak. Anyway, Jasper sent a new head and paid a shop to install it for me. Don't know how that last one got past their so called Q.A. check /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif None the less it runs like a charm now and I do like their customer service and warrenty. I shopped around and got mine for 1250.00

6. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

I put a gm crate motor in my 77 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif a year ago.It was around 1600 and is a four bolt main and the blocks are new the best thing is you dont have to wait for it just go to your local dealer and drive out with it.If gm puts it in the warrenty will be longer than if you do it yourself.I had to take mine to gm after I put it in so they can verfy it was installed correctly /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifBut well worth it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif mike

7. spectr17

spectr17 Newbie

Thanks for the help everyone.

Now to scrape up the beans for the swap.