Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1990 suburban ?s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wisconsin, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Registered Member

I am currently looking for a truck to pull my drag car a few miles to the track. I looked at an 90 Suburban. 127,000 miles minor rust (for Wis) 4X4, 1/2 ton, deer killer, trailer hook ups. What should a guy look for? ask about? common problems? TIA

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  2. Wisconsin

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Nothing other than the common things. Rust and leaks. These trucks really don't have sore spots when they've been used on the road. Other than that, check for cracks near or behind the steering box That's really the only weakness I can think of....

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The only suggestion I have is to maybe look for a 3/4 ton if you are going to use it as a tow rig. Mine is great.

5. freeflow

freeflow 1/2 ton status

I would get it, i have had 2 suburbans a 87 1/2 ton-body was pretty much gone ,and i have a 84 3/4ton im turning into 4x4 now, great vehicles both of mine have towed great. Might wanna check the radiator see what shape its in, and if it has a hitch see if the reciever will come out and its not rusted in lol.

6. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

7. oneton72gmc

oneton72gmc Newbie

Suggestions...

They are great vehicles. Of course test drive it to make sure the tranny shifts OK. Problem is those are the better versions of the 700R4, but if people drive them around in overdrive it still screws them up from the constant shifting.

Check the steering box area (shouldn't be a problem for a stock road driven truck), check underneath for signs of leaks, just the general stuff.

I don't know if you will be able to really get a good look at the reciever hitch, but try and check for rust. If it is really rusty you may think about dropping the gas tank and taking a look making sure it won't rust through any time soon.

From what I have heard, replace the fuel pump at around 150,000 miles. They usually go out around this time, and it is much more convenient to replace it when its your choice rather than when it goes out when you're hunting. You have to drop the fuel tank to do this anyway, so make sure you run it out of gas first.

Go ahead and get the 1/2 ton. Then get a 14 bolt, slap it under the rear and 8 lug hubs on the front and go. Thats what we did. You don't have to worry about ABS either. The ABS sensor on those models had the sensor in the output of the T-case sensing driveline lockup, not the individual tire.

8. Wisconsin

thanks for all the information. Chevblazin, my inlaws are in Appleton. If I end up heading that way any time soon I will send you a note to see if you still have it. Again thanks everyone

9. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Look for rust at the bottom rear corners of the rear side windows. Mine has got it fairly bad right there.

10. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

We also have a 90 sub. Occasionaly i run a tandem axle car trailer to az.from co. to move blazers around. Unloaded i get 12mpg....loaded i get 8mpg....but it is a V2500 with the 350-TH400 combo. My only complaint is it is underpowered. A 454 is a drop in other than ecm chip change...exhaust mods and other little differences or a $2k supercharger. My 2 cents. If you can find a 91....its the only year that 3/4 tons came with the 4l80E.

DW

11. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Dittos. Overdrive rules.

12. Wisconsin

Thanks again, I had my offer accepted on the Burb. I pick it up tonight. Hopefully I can get a link to pics tomorrow, so you can see if I did ok.