Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1991 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by k5james, Mar 17, 2007.

1. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about picking up a 91 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel burb(6.2) for a tow rig. How is the 6.2? I don't know a whole lot about earlier Chevy diesels. Will it be able to get out of its own way? What kind of mileage can I expect? How reliable are they? Any info is much appreciated.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The 91 is a later model and they were pretty good at that point, mileage I would say depends on your gearing and tranny options but should be in the 16-20 MPG, also depending on the gearing should be able to accelerate pretty decent being a 3/4 ton since it should have deep gears, no 3.08 for sure.:D
    Also it should have the 4l80E a great tranny.

3. 99GmcClassic

99GmcClassic Registered Member

most likely be a th400 with 3.73's. I've driven one with a g80, to put it one way I was happy to have the g80 at wot from a dead stop.

4. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

91's have a 4L80E in them. It was the 1st year for them.

5. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

I'm almost positive it has the 4l80e. How is the 1991 6.2? Will it take obscene amounts of cash to get it to perform nearly as well as a stock Dmax?

6. hidesertwheelin

It will NEVER perform anywhere near a Duramax. You buy a 6.2L for the milage and low rpm torque off road, not for balls out towing. If you not going to buy it, shoot me the contact info for the guy, I might :pimp:

7. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Really? Hmmm, I may have to rethink my plans then. I was planning on using it as a camping/tow rig to tow my 72 Blazer to the dunes.

8. hidesertwheelin

Don't get me wrong, you can tow with it. Just add a turbo to it and have at it, just don't expect to go very fast ;) You can still send the info if you back out :D

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey there cow boy.
    At least let him give both of us a chance. :D
    Yeah the 6.2 is not a towing engine, pass on this one and then pass on the info to me.:p:
    No seriously, it's great for towing but does not compare to the duramax, even wih the turbo it's not close, but it's better than any gasser, and gets better mileage.
    How much is the asking price?

10. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Right around $3500. If I don't buy it I'll definitely pass on the info.

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Pass on the info over here to if you don't take it. Thanks

Harley

12. CumminsChick

CumminsChick 1/2 ton status

i have a 6.2L and have had a few. it wont preform like the dmax. they are not quick but they are reliable, i've wheeled in mine and had no problems, i've pulled countless jeeps outta stuck with it too. the 6.2L is a naturally aspriated diesel, so unless you add a turbo, dont expect too much. mine runs better with 456s than it did with 373 (more gears and tranny but still). if you want something like the dmax, get the 6.2L and swap in a P pump 12V cummins. just my two cents

b

13. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

Are those engines difficult to come by? It seems that the cummins and 4l80e would be a pretty good combo if they could be bolted together. How many hours of labor do you think the job would take?

I'm going to have to seriously consider this. :thinking:

14. CumminsChick

CumminsChick 1/2 ton status

um as far as the 12v cummins with the old PPumps, yes they are if you dont know where to look. most people forget a cummins or any diesel will last over 350K easily (my 6.2 is way over that, somewhere around 500K) and dont wanna buy a higher mileage diesel, so you will find an easier time finding a 200K plus 12v. BUT if you find one GET IT. i have a 24V for my suburban, i originally wanted the 12v bc its a mechanical engine, but i got it for free and it has everything from flywheel to fanclutch and less than 10k miles on it...cant turn that down. my ramcharger will prolly be getting a 12V ppump. just consistantly look for one and you should be able to find one, but once they are on the market, they aren't there very long at all. i've been around cummins my whole life so i know how hard it is to find stuff,keep checking ebay and craiglist (or whatever) and such.

as far as puttin in the 24v into my truck, i have the "STEPS" and the how to, i am assuming it'll take me about a months time to get it all worked out, there wil be kinks along the road and such but i figure about 120 man hours with two people. that includes 6.2/700 out and 24v/intercooler/nv5600 in. that's what i'm guessing but i've learned that it always takes longer than i think, prolly bc i like things done right the first time and i've never done this kinda conversion just simple engine swaps but that's just me. ask some other people or check out www.autoworldmt.com and they have the know how and could help you out a lot.

keep me updated, my conversion wont start till NEXT summer bc this summer i'll be doign the interior and exterior (minus paint).

-bp