Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1991 BLZR In need of Timing Mark

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gumneck, Mar 7, 2003.

1. gumneck

gumneck Registered Member

Hello, As my subject reveals, I am in need of timing mark for stock 350 EFI on 1991 Blzr. The vehicle emissions label is not under the hood as you might suspect.
    Tks in advance.
    tom

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Do you need the degrees to set it at or do you need to know where you look to set it?
    Your wording is a little confusing.
    GM only put the scale in two places as far as I know on the SBC's that went into trucks. Some are to the right of the right leg of the water pump (standing in front of truck facing engine (driverside) and some you have to look behind the water pump between the front of the block to see the timming tab.
    Most SBC's recomend 8degres befroe TDC but with your truck being FI I'm not exactly sure of the correct porcedure needed to set base timing. The FI regulates it on that vehicle. I know there is something that has to be disconnected of Jumped to get an acurate reading at the crank.
    If your trying to cure a knock problem with the timing you probably have a bad Knock sensor and the problem is that and not actual a timing adjustment problem.

3. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

I think Grim explained very well where you can find the timing mark/pointer. As for setting the timing, check out this post which discussed finding the wire you need to disconnect prior to setting the timing. Your timing needs to be set to 0 degrees.

4. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

In addition, I always put a little white-out on the mark. This makes it alot easier to check it.

5. gumneck

gumneck Registered Member

Sorry about the confusing vagueness(sp). I needed the degree. I found out by calling some 1800 Chevy service number and they told me 2 degrees btdc. My local chevy dealer service dept. wouldn't tell me. So f him right. Anyway, I just need to set it proper b/c I've been using the truck with just the manual advance/pullback hand method. Its working just want it right b/c I'm anal like that. Thanks for reading my help request and responding.

Tom