Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1991 Caprice police 350 (9C1)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Jun 17, 2004.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have a 350 out of a 1991 caprice police car. I want to remove the oil cooler unit due to the filter being on the header.. I mean you have to loosen the header to get the filter off.... /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif
    I took the unit off and noticed that the block is not tapped. Do they make a press in part or do I have to tapp the block to be able to screw the oil filter back on?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

What filter are you using? Chances are a short filter wll work with the headers.

There should have been 2 bolts holding the cooler adapter onto the block. These same 2 bolts holes are used for the non-cooler filter boss.

3. RootBreaker

[ QUOTE ]
    What filter are you using? Chances are a short filter wll work with the headers.

There should have been 2 bolts holding the cooler adapter onto the block. These same 2 bolts holes are used for the non-cooler filter boss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I am using the longer filter. I didnt think of the shorter one....

but the 2 allen wrench bolts.. after taken out... are not needed anymore.. the BIG filter bolt needs to go back into the block... dont know if I need to tap the block or use a pushin kind of setup.... but I could just use a smaller filter... thanks for reminding me. I am using a fram ph13 I think....

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You really shouldn't be using a fram anything, fram = crap.

However, if you insist on using Fram, PH5 is the 1 qt filter you'll want to use. It is the same filter as PH13 except the PH5 has an anti drainback valve, PH 13 does not.

The shorter filter that will fit is PH 30.

5. RootBreaker

[ QUOTE ]
    You really shouldn't be using a fram anything, fram = crap.

However, if you insist on using Fram, PH5 is the 1 qt filter you'll want to use. It is the same filter as PH13 except the PH5 has an anti drainback valve, PH 13 does not.

The shorter filter that will fit is PH 30.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Fram sucked that bad they would be out of business by now. I have used them LOYALLY since 1989 and still do to this day....

p.s. thanks for the p/n's /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can believe whatever you want, but there is a reason that a professional auto parts store will not carry a brand name like fram.

PH 454 gets you an even shorter filter than PH 30 if you really need a super short one.

7. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

why dont you run a filter relocator? i run the biggest delco filter.... forgot the pn.... but, it's very close to the header, and has like 1/16" clearance. i have that same oil cooler adapter.... i would not even think about tapping the block.... get a filter relocator.

also, i agree, fram sucks moneky balls. i used to use them, but i switched to AC Delco, and cut a used fram open and a used AC...... let's just say, i now only buy ac delco..... the fram element was glued together with cardboard... and, believe it or not.... the delco is the same price as the fram.... you just cant buy delco at walmart /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can however buy a Super Tech filter at Wal Mart for half the price of a Fram, and it's a better filter. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you do not have to tap the block for anything, when you removed the filter adapter you need to replace it with one from something that did not have an oil cooler. those two "allen bolts that are no longer needed" need to be replaced with the proper shorter bolts for the oil filter adapter. dont forget the gaskets either, or your oil wont be properly filtered.

10. RootBreaker

I stuck a ph30 and now I am fine... and yes I put a FRAM in!!!

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ha, a buddy just told me I can have the 350 out of his 9c1 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I just have to take the time to pull it and put another motor in it. The car hasn't moved in months so there is no hurry on it either.

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I have my choice of Fram, Purolator, or Delco at *my* Walmart /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif