Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1991 J**P Comanche questions....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

My father-in-law just got a smoking deal on a used 2WD Jeep Comanche. Next weekend he's bringing it over so we can change out the fluids and check it out really good. I have a few questions:

1. The inline 6(4.0 litre) needs a new valve cover gasket. I have yet to see the truck so I'm not sure what's involved. Is the job as simple as on a K5, or is it a real PITA??? Like are there any problems wih access or are there a ton of brackets in the way?

2. We're gonna service the OD tranny......Same question? Is it as simple on a Comanche as it is on a Blazer? I'd hate to start the job and then realize there's some trick to finishing it properly.

Please fill me in if you can. I know dick about Jeep products....

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I dunno on the tranny...but the valve cover is prolly easier than a Blazer. There is very little if anything else that needs moving.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I've done a lot of searching on the net for tech info, and I came across a pic of the engine bay of an I6. It looks pretty straight forward except for a bracket on the back of the valve cover that is described as the "vacuum solenoids". Like I said, I've never even seen the truck yet but that's bracket is the only thing that looks like it could be a pain.......

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the tranny pan is out in the open as well. the valve cover is basic, they did do soemthing right on these things,LOL. the heating and cooling system could use a redesign which i think they did when they released the Grands.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

When he brings it over or whatnot, can you check the interior for roomyness(is that a word?) I'm thinking about selling my Cherokee and going with the Comanche. They only want $800 OBO for the "truck" and it is 4 wheel drive too. I'm 6'1" so I have my current seat in my cherokee back a little bit, just wondering if the "truck" will allow the seat to go back far enough. Thanks

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I can comfortably drive my cousin's Comanche at 6'3 - you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

......And knowing is half the battle
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

7. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

this should be pretty dang easy, especially the valve cover gasket.

he who bash other 4x4, look silly when being pulled out by it.