Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1991 K-5 Fuel Injection

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PGL4VT, Aug 5, 2002.

1. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

1991 Fuel Injection. Seems to be running really rich. Heavy smell of gas especially when first started. Lots of black soot in exhuast and blows black smoke when floored or under heavy load. How can I fix this? I'm used to simply adjusting the carb on my 72 K-5 but I know very little about this set up. Help! Thanks, Pat.

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

TPS( throttle postion sensor) could be funny, also check you O2 sensor.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

1. Get a scanner..........like one from www.autoxray.com - cost about $150 - GOTTA have a scanner if you're running FI. Also go to this page GM Computer Codes and print it out. Gonna need it someday, even tho you aren't having codes now. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
    2. Read, read, read all you can about FI on www.thirdgen.org - then read some more.
    3. Get a book like 'Chevy Fuel Injection' or something like that by Ben Watson - sorry, have three books, all are loaned out and I can't remember the names. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    4. Sounds like your O2 sensor is done, or your injectors are in need of cleaning. www.cruzinperformance.com can do them for cheap. Check your fuel filter while you're at it..........
    5. Check your TPS setup - thirdgen has a tech article on how to set it.

Hope this helped ya!

4. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

BTW, I replaced the O2 sensor with a Bosch already and I just got a new fuel filter tonight.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't start throwing money at parts, or you will quickly exceed the cost of the scanner that BlazzinOR mentioned, which will *save* you money in the long run.

Get yourself a factory service manual while you are at it, scanner data doesn't mean anything if you don't know what you *should* be seeing number-wise.