Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1991 S-15 4dr, 42 iroks and rockwells.....LONG!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yeild2me, Jan 20, 2005.

1. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Just an update on what I have been up to---

While in Afghanistan, I bought a 4dr Jimmy off of Ebay, and when I got back the 2nd Of December, went up to Jersey and picked it up. My initial plans were take the body off and swap it with the S-15 Ext cab thats on my K5 frame now. Well, after thinking about it, I decided just to build another truck and either keep or sell the other one.

SOOOO, First thing first, I pulled the engine/trans/t-case and had them all rebuilt (I like to start fresh:D ). I went down the road and bought 2 front Rockwells and brought them home and disassembled them because I had to install detroits, and replaced all the seals and bearings. Ordered full hydraulic steering from Station on the Pirate board and 42" Iroks from the local shop. Went out to the steel place and bought all the tube for my links and crossmembers, then got on line and ordered a bunch of heims, bungs, jam nuts etc. I cut out all of the old IFS crap (Sucked BTW) and pulled the rear axle. I called up Daniel at usa6x6 and ordered a new set of hummer beadlocks with the Rockwell pattern. I have made them my self in the past, and it isnt that bad, but since I am a one man show over here, its easier not to have to deal with it. I ordered the pinion brake kit off of EBAY, then decided that front disc's are the better option, so I welded the rear spiders, called Daniel back up, told him I was going to return the Detroit, but buy the front brake kit. So, thats on the way.

As it sits right now.....The engine/trans is in and 90% hooked up. Both of the axle housings are under the truck and I am waiting for my front springs to come in (2" progressive rate TJ coils), I have the f-150 stock springs for the rear. Once I get the ride height finalized, the links and associated x-members will be made and installed. Hopefully, I will have it pretty much done by mid-February.

I am going back to Afghanistan in July, and want to wheel so bad I can taste it. I am planning on hitting Tellico for ECBB05 and getting back there as often as I can before I leave.

I also sent Rick Pewe a video application to join Ultimate Adventure 2005, and hope like hell I get selected.

Sorry this is long, but I got to thinking about how this is my 4th year (this month) on CK5, and when I joined my K5 was a little baby on 33's, and has been built up several times, and now I am building this truck......man, have spent alot of $$$$!!!!!! lol.....I will post pics as soon as I get my membership back up, and look forward to EBB in april, or whenever it is!!!

Rob

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

sound f##ken sweet. i wish i had the skill and the $$ to do that

3. gmchevy

gmchevy Registered Member

i have aquired most of the parts ( rockwells, etc.) but just don't have the time right now. hey find someone up ther at Fort Bragg to take you to DRMO and get you some 52 inch michellins for nothing, 36 hmmwv tires too, thats what I got and where i got 'em.

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Progress report.....

After I fried the ECM and swapped another in, it still wound not start---No spark. So, thinking it was the remote start box that the PO installed, I ripped it out, but still nothing. I got to re-reading some old posts, and figured I would try to swap out the ignition module in the distributor. Swapped it out and VIOLA>>>> It started!!

After that, I had to weld in a radiator mount and finished putting the engine and wiring all together. I am waiting for my convoluted tubing from JC Whitney to come in so I can get everything covered and cleaned up.

Then I made some front coil spring mounts, but havent installed them.

As soon as my membership is activated, I will start posting pics.

This weeks plan--get it so it sits on springs and get the links and crossmembers made....stay tuned.
    Rob

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Hopefully the wheels that Daniel made for you hold up :shocked:

I would at least be SCARED to run anything he makes just based on all the horror stories

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

wow I don't know how I missed this, guess there is no reason to ask what you've been up to. I always tell myself I am gonna build something and surprise everyone on CK5 with it being done(not that I've ever finished a thing) but I always end up posting progress, how did you manage to stay away with all this info damnit? :D

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah sounds killer.

must have been saveing up the coin to do all this.

8. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

LOL.....Yeah, 7 months in Afghanistan does load the ole bank account!!

Sample breakdown on savings....

-no gas to buy
    -no fast food for lunch
    -no Copenhagen, because family sends it to ya
    -no internet for the first 6.5 months, so no internet purchases
    -no vehicle cost cause they are just sitting in the garage
    -no haircuts because we were on a firebase and didnt have to

plus---
    hazordous duty pay, tax free, family seperation, etc etc....

I hate going, but it does make doing stuff aloyt better when you get back.

BTW-I posted pics on Pirate in the chevy section.

Rob

9. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I have dealt with Daniel in the past, in fact I was in on the initial hummer beadlock fiasco a few years back. I built the ones that are on my tan truck, and its not that hard, but just a PIA, and I have alot of other things to do. I got a good deal on them because of his x-mas special, so I couldnt resist.

I am also getting the disc brake kit from him for the front. He has gotten his stuff together (At least it seems so), but I gyess I will see.

Rob

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I paid for most of my stuff when I lost my license. No vehicle fees, no gas, no insurance, stopped going out. It was great... kind of.

12. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

lol...Ahhhh yes, the ole silver lining.....Thanks for posting those.

Rob

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  13. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

http://coloradok5.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1689

Man,,,My computer skillz are lacking...

Anyway, Both axles are linked now. I had a lot of trouble on both ends, but mounted them the best way I could with the amount of room available, and with out having this beast too tall when the rubber is on. The interior is also gutted now because of the PO's pets/kids/fast food etc, smelling it up. I also ran all of the engine wires through convaluted tubing. I still have TONS of welding/gusseting/bracing to do on the axles/links..plus finish putting the axles togehter, Hydro steering, Blah, Blah, Blah....

Sorry for the dark pics, but its dark out in the garage!!!

As soon as I can get back out there when the sun is up, I will take a few better ones.

Rob

14. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

i think this thread may have convinced several broke ck5ers to join the military lol. Man, what we do for our trucks...

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

16. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Ok...Here is the latest and greatest.

Everything is pretty much done (axle/suspension wise) except the Left hub. I had a bad inner spindle bearing and had to order a new one from boyce.$$$.

Next-shock mounts, front pinion brake (came today), hook up rear brake, then off to the hyd shop to have lines made, then off to the d-shaft shop to have 2 bew ones made.

A little closer day by day.

Rob

s-duece15mar 003.jpg

s-duece15mar 002.jpg

s-duece15mar 001.jpg