Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1991 s10 problems....still help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dodgedude99, Oct 23, 2004.

1. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

ok the truck is a 1991 s10 2.5 4cyl vin e, 5 speed.

truck had no power, i took the air cleaner lid off and the 2 month old air cleaner was pitch black from what appears to be exhaust soot. my son complained that he would be in 4th gear with the pedal to the floor and it would only do 40mph, it would pop and miss and such.

the inside of the air cleaner in between the outside of the filter and the housing is full of the soot as is the breather filter.

the week old plugs are totally carbon covered as well.

the check engine lights comes and goes while driving.

the cap, rotor, wires, plugs, o2 sensor, ignition module, and full exhaust is new within the last month.

i took the egr valve out to clean it with a toothbrush and tried sucking on the ended to get it to move and it didnt (so either i dont have enough lung power or its bad i dont know).

gas mileage has been crappy as well.
    if i missed explaining anything please ask

thanks

2. dodgedude99

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Among millions of other thigns it could be, I'd really look into the EGR and the cat converter.

EGR should move easily with your finger pressing on the underside, and should move smoothly as well.

4. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

You are going to need a new EGR valve because from what you describe the diaphram in the EGR is ruptured.

bigred81

5. dodgedude99

the cat is brand new as of saturday.
    i took the the egr off to clean it and it moves freely.
    i put a hose on it to see if i could suck it up with my mouth but it didnt move.

i see exhaust manifolds for the 2.5 all the time on ebay, what exactly happens to manifolds that they are sold quite a bit?

like i had mentioned the soot is on the outside of the airfilter.
    so it would have to come from the breather, or the heat riser off the exhaust manifold.
    do the manifolds crack easily?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm not sure how those EGR valves work...there are two styles, so maybe yours is still working correctly?

In any case, since you took it off and saw how yours was operating (or not!) maybe you should go to a local auto parts place and compare how yours acts to theirs.

They may want to see yours to compare though, since the EGR valves are apparently kind of tricky to ID.

Soot on the outside of the air filter would mean the crankcase breather is seeing a lot of junk (not likely if it's not concentrated near the breather) or like you mentioned, the heat riser.

Can still be a lot of different things, "soot" could be from other engine problems too, but EGR would be a prime culprit.