Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1991 Z71 Brake Problem! HELP!

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by shaneopie, Jul 23, 2001.

1. shaneopie

shaneopie 1/2 ton status

I have a 1991 z71 long bed 1500 w/t 350 motor. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had a problem with there brakes. Mine are very soft. I have to pish them like a long ways to stop. But it will stop quickly if i really get on them. I have bleed the brakes changed calapers shoes rotors drums pads you name it. If anyone can give me a fix please do so.

2. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with mine. I had to replace the rubber hoses that connect the steel brake line to the caliper. The rubber was getting worn out and was expanding, so instead of all the pressure getting to the calipers, it was pushing out on the rubber. It solved my problem, maybe it will help your too. Good luck.

Diesel

Everything's bigger in Texas!

3. shaneopie

shaneopie 1/2 ton status

Thank you for the help that will be the next thing i look at.

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

You need to complete a few checks to diag the problem. I would sugjest the following;

At a stop, trans in park or e-brake set if it's a manual. Appliy the brakes with normal pressure. What happens?
    -Does it fold firm?
    -Does it hold -then fall or fade? (possible master cyl and/or isolation valve on RWAL sys.)
    -Does it feel mushy all the way? (possibly master cyl or RWAL valve. Or air in the sys.)

Stab the pedal hard, then hold it again- like the above steps. Same out come? Or did it change?

Just for the record, It's hard to diag stuff over the net. But I hope that helps you out some.

Twiztid

5. InSearchofAk5

InSearchofAk5 Registered Member

Either your brake lines or master cylinder or booster (if you have pwr brakes)