Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1992 4.3L hard starting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Nov 25, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

TBI 4.3L

most of the time you have to spray starting fluid down the throttle of it to get it to fire up, it stays running just fine drives great otherwise, i tried a couple different fuel pumps i had around and both times it would always start up great and be fine and then after a week or a few days it would start not spraying fuel at cranking speed again, so would have to resort back to starting fluid to start it every time, then sometimes it would be fine and start right up, then it would go back to not starting again, IE not spraying fuel again, on 4.3L TBI engines theres a pair of wires that are white and pink they run from the coil on the intake back to distributor, length about 8" or so, black plastic plug ends, well the originals broke inside the insulation, this seems to be a real common problem on 90s TBI GM RWD engines, so he got a brand new pair from the chevy garage and that took care of it for a long time, well now its back to not starting up again and is now broke down on freeway up north,

personally i think its fuel pump, but it may even be crank trigger maybe, i really have no idea what tells the TBI injectors to fire,

can someone explain to me what tells the injectors to open up and fire on these things ? i heard they fire off the distributor,

if so then what about crank sensor? is there no crank sensor in 92 on the 4.3L ?

sbout a year ago the truck developed a couple new symptoms
    the instrument panel has a check gages light, well it used to come on and then go out peridoically, well now its on all the time and the guages are all screwy, messed up bad, and on long highway trips about 150 miles each it would once or twice fall on its face and decelerate as if you shut it off and would do this for about ten seconds and then poof it would come back to life and speed back up and trek right along like nothing ever happened, it was crazy., i know its the fuel injectors failing to inject,

does this sound like fuel pump failure symptoms or what ?

what about the dash being screwed up ?

its an all original untouched old person owned truck, its a 92 s-10 2wd 4.3L VIN code Z and 700r4 and 3.42 rear and all has 150k miles on it, it has been drove hard and put away wet for the last three or four years, and had maybe three oil changes ever during that time period, its not my truck so its not my fault,

thanks for anything ?

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ive tried different fuel pumps and another relay too, BTW