Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1992 Caprice Police Car

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by 350350, Oct 16, 2003.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I'm going to have two jobs soon which will require, and pay for, mileage. Currently planning to use my K5 to put the miles on and depend on to get through in bad weather, but delivering the mail will be a little bit of a challenge (driving from the passenger side of a K5) and gas mileage isn't so great with the K5 either.

So there's this '92 Chevy Caprice Police Car at one of the local dealerships that has been there for several months. A couple of months ago he marked it down from $1500 to $1200 and it still hasn't moved. It calls to me every time I drive past it. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif (I have a sweet spot for police cars...)

So '92 still has the fender skirts (which I personally like but most people hate...) and would be a TBI 350 instead of the much more desireable later LT1 motor. Still a good mill though. 700R4. It has good tires on it and runs and drives good. IIRC it has 130K on it. Body has some scratches and dents, nothing you wouldn't expect for a 11-year-old Police Cruiser.

As bad as people seem to need cash around here I would guess I could buy it for $800, but from what I've seen $1200 is still a pretty good deal... The LT1 Cruisers can be had for $2000-$4000 if you have cash ready and aren't worried about a few scratches and dents.

What do you think? Expand my Family with another vehicle or just burn the miles on the K5? We're down to a 'Poverty Level' of only 3 vehicles now, an all-time low since I was 16. I would feel a lot better if we had at least 2 per licensed driver... And my Anti-Car-Guy neighbor hasn't been on my case for a while so there's the added bonus of pissing her off. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif She has like 3 generations of people living in her small house, so she takes up at least 4 parking spaces on the street every evening. And she still manages to find time to complain about where I park my 3... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I wouldn't have the cash to buy the Caprice until I get a few paychecks anyway, so it may be gone by then. Who knows...

Paul /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I would go for it, putting miles on the K5 is cool, but stop and go driving like delivering mail is really hell on cars! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would go for it, putting miles on the K5 is cool, but stop and go driving like delivering mail is really hell on cars! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Checked it out yesterday, but didn't have time to drive it more than a quick test drive. I wouldn't buy it without driving it around a couple of hours to make sure it doesn't overheat, trans slip, etc.

But in the mean time, I found a '95 LT1 Caprice in Decatur IL that didn't sell on ebay... He had a starting price of $1000 and a BIN of $2000, and got no bids at all. It's basically the same condition as the local one I've been looking at but has the much more kick-arse motor. I may try to go look at it next weekend. I've got a few weeks before I'll have any money to buy anything anyway so I may as well enjoy some shopping around in the mean time...

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Paul 'X'

4. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Somebody bought the Police Car. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Whoever bought it works at the gas station up the road because I see it sitting there now. It still calls to me... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Paul 'X'

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i kinda likem myself....in school i work on this 92 caprice wagon with the 350/700 and a posi rear. if i was to have one it deffenetly wouldnt be the wagon...but there the same drivetrain..would make a sweet sleeper..id like to put a dual exhuast in one with 40 series flows and headers /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

how much wil you drive the k5?
    800$ + Gas for it + Insurance + Car isnt 4wd...useless in winter

worth it?